The cost of not changing our title- JAAPA

A pro-title change article: The Cost of not changing our title - written by a PA student 

https://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Fulltext/2021/05000/The_cost_of_not_changing_our_title.2.aspx

The counterpoint article : The PA title Is a change the best way forward?- written by 2 PhD PAs and a PA with probably 30+ years of experience. 

https://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Fulltext/2021/05000/The_PA_title__Is_a_change_the_best_way_forward_.1.aspx

Great article by Scott Burns, a student who is pro-title change. He was brave to take on the challenge. It was 3 on 1.  Not fair in my opinion, but he did a good job. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The student wrote a great article. The opposing side also raised some good points, but they are relatively typical of arguments often raised to oppose change. 

Over my 15 years, the situation has not improved but has only gotten worse. "First do no harm" is indeed a cornerstone of medicine. But so too is recognizing when your treatment -- in spite of your best intentions -- isn't working.

I believe that it's time to try something new.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Overall, changing the PA title would require an enormous investment with serious risks and uncertain rewards. A change may threaten nascent PA professions in other countries who rely on the accepted title, identity, and literature that the PA profession in the United States has worked hard to establish over the past nearly 6 decades. Dutch PAs, for example, chose physician assistant (in English!) as their name in order to align themselves with the profession in other countries.

What a damn joke.  THIS is exactly the mentality that is going to kill off this profession.  They are worried about other countries???  LOL gawd.

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Overall, changing the PA title would require an enormous investment with serious risks and uncertain rewards. A change may threaten nascent PA professions in other countries who rely on the accepted title, identity, and literature that the PA profession in the United States has worked hard to establish over the past nearly 6 decades. Dutch PAs, for example, chose physician assistant (in English!) as their name in order to align themselves with the profession in other countries.

What a damn joke.  THIS is exactly the mentality that is going to kill off this profession.  They are worried about other countries???  LOL gawd.

Total red herring. Hell, why not cite how much damage it would do to the 10 PAs working in New Zealand!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

was dumbfounded such supposedly smart people could hold such a view....  guess pHd and 30 years gets you stuck in a habit, not leading in thought.....

"And for those who think the profession cannot progress without a title change, consider the 115 PA-positive legislative and regulatory wins achieved across 45 states in 2019 alone.7 Not bad for a young profession with a perception problem."

UGH - forehead slap - so now they are trying to take claim to the hard work and dedicated future thinking PA's whom are FORCING change with in AAPA and at the state level.  These same people are asking for a different name and they try to hold our success against us??  ugh. 

this one kills me. "Overall, changing the PA title would require an enormous investment with serious risks and uncertain rewards."

Sounds like the same argument they gave against OTP "millions of dollars and decades to enact"

Yeah that one is imploding as we speak.

Honestly folks the one's advocating for P. ASSISTANT are spreading fake news, alternative facts, and already disproven arguments.  Just resign if you do not want to support the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Cideous said:

A change may threaten nascent PA professions in other countries who rely on the accepted title, identity, and literature that the PA profession in the United States has worked hard to establish over the past nearly 6 decades. Dutch PAs, for example, chose physician assistant (in English!) as their name in order to align themselves with the profession in other countries.

This one got me scratch my head as well. Why are we worrying about Dutch PAs? In reality they have nothing to do with us. Do American MDs worrying about Dutch MDs? American RNs worrying about Dutch RNs? But Apparently, we should worry about Dutch PAs! 

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, ventana said:

"And for those who think the profession cannot progress without a title change, consider the 115 PA-positive legislative and regulatory wins achieved across 45 states in 2019 alone.7 Not bad for a young profession with a perception problem."

UGH - forehead slap - so now they are trying to take claim to the hard work and dedicated future thinking PA's whom are FORCING change with in AAPA and at the state level.  These same people are asking for a different name and they try to hold our success against us??  ugh. 

I am sure we can also come out with 115 reasons why the PA profession is dying and getting our butt kicked by the NPs. 

What I don't understand is that over at the Huddle, the opposed Title change article "The PA title Is a change the best way forward?" is getting a lot of praise even by Physician Associate supporters, just because the authors do not agree MCP should be the title, but at same time the authors were opposing a title change. So NO to MCP and NO to Physician Associate. Basically a slap in the face to 90% of PAs. 

There's a small thread in the huddle about the PA-S's article and there's a post from an "old timer" PA who, because HE is happy to he an assistant, citing experiences of being treated well by HIS "supervisings" (his word not mine), HE doesn't see why the title should change... To PAs with this mentality I say "then stay an assistant and keep calling yourself that, but don't hold those of us back who don't see ourselves as assistants."

Edited by Joelseff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ventana said:

was dumbfounded such supposedly smart people could hold such a view....  guess pHd and 30 years gets you stuck in a habit, not leading in thought.....

There is not necessarily any relationship between creativity, intelligence or wisdom and having a doctoral degree. A doctoral degree is an endurance test, nothing more. 

• Upvote 1

The academics should be ashamed of themselves. I betcha they also support 6 year recertification cycles, forever being under the thumb of physicians and limited prescribing by PAs. They are also all from the states with independent NP practice (AZ, MD and DC)

Pull the money from useless NCCPA and make title change happen 

I otolaryngologists can market themselves as EAR NOSE THROAT we sure as heck can market MEDICAL PRACTITIONER 

Edited by iconic
  • Upvote 2

On 5/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, iconic said:

The academics should be ashamed of themselves. I betcha they also support 6 year recertification cycles, forever being under the thumb of physicians and limited prescribing by PAs. They are also all from the states with independent NP practice (AZ, MD and DC)

Pull the money from useless NCCPA and make title change happen 

I otolaryngologists can market themselves as EAR NOSE THROAT we sure as heck can market MEDICAL PRACTITIONER 

We need to fight back. We need the title change ASAP

• Upvote 1