2021-2022 Application Cycle

50 minutes ago, kristenmroberts said:

Anyone else having trouble with the "Recover my Account" portion? It says for all applicants to select recover account instead of creating a new account which doesn't make sense. I entered the PSU ID given in the email but it won't let me get past the first page.

Make sure to add @psu.edu after the account ID they provide. Not the numerical one, the alphanumerical ID..however, even after gettting my account activated, I am unable to find the supplemental app following their instructions.. anyone having the same issue? 

I am also having trouble finding the secondary application essay... They lost me at "select self service." I do not see that on my lion path home page. I see class schedule on the left and "Find Classes, Enrollment, Degree Planning, etc" on the right. 

Update: I found it. You have to click on the 3 horizontal bars on the top right corner.

254432484_ScreenShot2021-08-12at8_43_59PM.png.b49de0d171965ab2031df7702c5333c7.png

Edited by Yuany22
Adding information

The transcript entry says to enter grades as: GRADE = A, B, C, D, F, P, S, OR NUMERIC GRADE SHOULD YOUR INSTITUTION GRADE IN THIS MANNER. 

Does this mean to ignore plusses and minuses?

Also, my course codes are longer than the space provided so I can't fit the whole thing. Anyone else having this problem? I'm going to email them.

15 hours ago, kristenmroberts said:

The transcript entry says to enter grades as: GRADE = A, B, C, D, F, P, S, OR NUMERIC GRADE SHOULD YOUR INSTITUTION GRADE IN THIS MANNER. 

Does this mean to ignore plusses and minuses?

Also, my course codes are longer than the space provided so I can't fit the whole thing. Anyone else having this problem? I'm going to email them.

I included the plusses and minuses! Also if a course code was too long I didn’t use spaces and that worked for all of mine but if that’s causing you an issue I would maybe email them!

15 hours ago, jessicaa10 said:

I included the plusses and minuses! Also if a course code was too long I didn’t use spaces and that worked for all of mine but if that’s causing you an issue I would maybe email them!

I emailed them & they said it wasn't too much of a concern but advised me to just shorten the letter part of the course code. Thank you though! Will be including the plusses and minuses

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, FaithInPA16 said:

Make sure to add @psu.edu after the account ID they provide. Not the numerical one, the alphanumerical ID..however, even after gettting my account activated, I am unable to find the supplemental app following their instructions.. anyone having the same issue? 

Im having the same issue, can anyone help with where they found the supplemental app? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @ST@PSU this is awesome, thanks so much for sharing. Quick question- no pressure, but I think last year you had some insight into when interview season was starting. I think things have been delayed somewhat by the secondary application and CASPA change, but are you at all free to share if interviews have already or will start up soon? No worries if not, and thanks again for the updates!!

Edited by PAsandPugs

8 hours ago, PAsandPugs said:

Hi @ST@PSU this is awesome, thanks so much for sharing. Quick question- no pressure, but I think last year you had some insight into when interview season was starting. I think things have been delayed somewhat by the secondary application and CASPA change, but are you at all free to share if interviews have already or will start up soon? No worries if not, and thanks again for the updates!!

Hi!  Unfortunately I truly do not know how things are working this cycle.  In the Covid/post-Covid era, it appears much has changed with how interviews are being scheduled and conducted so I no longer feel I can reliably comment.  What I can say with absolute confidence is that it remains a fair, well-vetted process with emphasis on diversity of backgrounds and experience.  It is also equal opportunity in the sense that the last seat(s) will not be filled until all who are invited to interview have done so.  In the past, this has meant that interviews extend beyond the application deadlines to allow everyone who wishes the most time to apply.  

My involvement has shifted to precepting our second year students during their inpatient internal medicine rotations as well as a little bit of curriculum review.  I am also a facilitator for the College’s Interprofessionalism courses that bring together PA students with Penn State (and surrounding colleges) medical, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, and social work students.  From those vantage points, I can say that our students are exceedingly well prepared.  As a graduate, I owe this to a large extent to the way the diversity of the classes are leveraged to enhance instruction.  

Personally, this has continued into my professional life as I have the distinct pleasure of working side-by-side with my friend and fellow Class of 2017 classmate.  Our complimentary perspectives enhance the care our patients receive, as well as the learning opportunities for our students, and it is awesome collaborating with someone with the same shared experience.  

To be successful in our program (and as a practicing PA!) you will have to work together.  You all have the same goal (getting into PA school) so I encourage you to continue information sharing among each other through this platform.  While not everyone will be accepted to PSU, you will learn things that will help if you apply again or in your pursuit of entering other programs.  Teamwork!

Best to all!!

-Sue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAsandPugs said:

@ST@PSU Absolutely, no worries. And that was another question I had, regarding the competitive vs collaborative environment you experienced during your time. Good to know your class felt fairly close and really drew upon the talents, backgrounds, and insights of everyone. Glad to hear it!

We are all scattered across the country now, keep in touch more closely with some of my classmates more than others of course, but I know I could count on any alum should I need anything professionally.  That’s true through the entire PSU alumni family!  It’s the largest in the country! 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mich17 said:

I believe they said that they don’t send out invites until after Jan 15th (when the supplemental apps are due)

Hi mich17,

Unless there has been a substantial change in this regard, interviews are conducted throughout the cycle, though a few will occur after the application deadlines so that all prospective students who meet the Program’s requirements can be fairly considered.  

2 hours ago, ST@PSU said:

Hi mich17,

Unless there has been a substantial change in this regard, interviews are conducted throughout the cycle, though a few will occur after the application deadlines so that all prospective students who meet the Program’s requirements can be fairly considered.  

Oops! Sorry, I must’ve been confused with a different program. I reread my email from them and that’s correct. I deleted my comment 😊

On 9/22/2021 at 10:38 AM, PAsandPugs said:

@ST@PSU Absolutely, no worries. And that was another question I had, regarding the competitive vs collaborative environment you experienced during your time. Good to know your class felt fairly close and really drew upon the talents, backgrounds, and insights of everyone. Glad to hear it!

I am in the Penn State class of 2023, I can attest that the TBL approach lends itself to a collaborative environment. I dont feel as if I am competing against my classmates at all and I rely on them to help me learn and to maintain my GPA. For example, 3 days a week we are assigned to read a lengthy article that is based off the disease or system we are focusing on for which we take an individual assessment which is immediately followed by taking the same assessment with our assigned TBL groups. My average for the individual assessment is ~65% and the average for the group assessment is  >95%, because the focus is on team based learning the weight for these assessments are 20:80 respectively. 

As Sue mentioned there are also several opportunities for interdisciplinary learning spread throughout the curriculum, including taking several small and large group courses with the medical students. In addition, you work in a separate group than your TBL groups during Gross Anatomy lab, discuss case studies as a whole class, and become intimately involved with them during the H&P intensives. With such a small class size, you will find yourself becoming very close with everyone if you are accepted, my birthday party is this weekend and everyone was invited, I fully expect >30 people in my tiny on campus apartment!

Good luck on your applications!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...