Can someone explain requirements for Orthopedic Physician Assistant?

Looking at job for Certified Orthopedic Physician Assistant.  I assumed this was open to PA's with orthopedic experience. However cam across the following from National Board for Certification of Orthopaedic Physician's Assistants  

"Candidates must have completed an orthopaedic assistant program, a primary care physician assistant program, or a nurse practitioner program or completion of a related allied health care program and have at least five (5) years of experience in orthopaedic work with responsibility in surgical assisting, history and physical assessment, and immobilization techniques, under the supervision of a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon."  

Is this real? Can NP or Allied health become a "Certified Orthopedic Physician Assistant"?   

If I recall, this profession is being phased out and a hold over from a time when there were a few specialty specific PAs. 

https://www.aapa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/PAs_andOPAs_The_Distinctions_1-17.pdf

or maybe they are still around. This candidate handbook is from 2021.

https://ptcny.com/pdf/NBCOPA.pdf

i do know they are not recognized by Medicare, so employment would probably be very limited and doubt they can practice in all states.

Interesting sidebar:  that's actually how I became aware of the PA profession about a hundred years ago.  I was a paramedic at a hospital-based EMS service and noted that many of the ortho cases in the ED were attended by one of these "COPAs".  I got to talking with the guy one day, and he told me about his training and what he did.  The above replies are correct; their training was limited to strictly orthopedics, and I haven't run into one in many years.  But that sparked my interest, and I discovered the PA profession in my research, and here I am.

There was a joke about a group of doctors trapped in an elevator; the doors were closing and they were discussing which part of their body they would stick in the doors that would not inhibit them making money.  The neurosurgeon stuck his foot, because he needed his hands; there was some others, but when the orthopod came up, he stuck his head in.  I totally mess up the joke every time, all I remember is him sticking his head in the door.

My apologies to PA's who work in orthopedics.  The joke was funny though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

There was a joke about a group of doctors trapped in an elevator; the doors were closing and they were discussing which part of their body they would stick in the doors that would not inhibit them making money.  The neurosurgeon stuck his foot, because he needed his hands; there was some others, but when the orthopod came up, he stuck his head in.  I totally mess up the joke every time, all I remember is him sticking his head in the door.

My apologies to PA's who work in orthopedics.  The joke was funny though.

PS I think primary care didn't do anything, because wherever the elevator car was headed was better than primary care.  That parts my own.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an OPA in my old group - he's probably in his mid to late 60s now and just surgical assists full time. He was in the Navy around Vietnam and got OPA training at that point. I have no clue if any insurance reimburses for his services, but he's the best first assist I've ever met, so I'm pretty sure the docs just ate the cost of his salary.