job market

I am an ICU nurse. I value the medical education PA students obtain which is why I am applying to PA instead of NP school. what is the job market for PA's entering the profession (not really discussing the covid situation). A  PA told me that it took her 5 months to obtain a job in her specialty of choice. Is the PA profession that saturated? Thanks

Just now, briRN said:

Thanks for your input! How are outpatient jobs? I work in a large trauma ICU and am tired of the stressful environment. 

Your background makes you a shoe-in for inpatient jobs, but offers less of an advantage for primary care jobs. Just being an RN will help get any job, but the closer to your area of specialty the more likely it will help. Cardiology, sure. Women's health or peds? not so much. 

• Like 1

You should apply to both and evaluate your options. Sure, you’re an ICU nurse, that’ll certainly beef up your application and have a higher chance of getting into school. Does not guarantee this. I’ve seen your story get rejected plenty of times as well. NP school-guaranteed entry. It’ll definitely beef up your CV and you’ll likely easily fall into an inpatient position. You will still potentially be sidelined for 5-6 months trying to get hired. PA is gloomy and outlook not so good for market saturation, name change, and scope. Speak with current PA’s. Not the students. They are completely deluded into their reality. If you want to practice medicine more freely, with more respect, recognition, and freedom of lateral mobility (this is fully valid for inpatient also) do NP and then a residency. To consider as well, you can continue working in the ICU as you get your NP. Of course, much of this is just my opinion, but much of it is also fact. You will do great either way. Most certainly more of a headache going the PA route. 

Consider this also. Want to work overseas? Doctors Without Borders? Humanitarian work without handcuffs? Do NP. Want to be recognized as a provider in almost any other country other than the states? NP. PAs aren’t even recognized as providers in DWB. Though, you could do this in a nursing capacity in your case.  

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Downvote 1

fyi regarding msf/dwb. They use NPs as RNs, not as providers. When I was on the board of PAFT we clarified this with them directly. There are plenty of organizations that use PAs for volunteer positions, but I agree the overseas work options are limited at this time. 

• Upvote 1

Based on the experience of our recent graduates, the job market is slower than it was a few years ago. Some of that appears to be associated with COVID, with ER visits and elective surgeries cut back. On the other hand, there are also more graduates searching for jobs and a growing percentage are electing to do a one-year fellowship after graduation.