Well, my job is officially in jeopardy of being lost to APRN's

Physician Assistants (PA) have the ability to perform workers’ compensation examinations under the
direction of a physician at seventy percent (70%) of the fee schedule rate. Physician Assistants may not
see patients on more than two consecutive visits and may not assign the permanency rating at the final
visit. The supervising physician is required to review all paperwork prepared by a PA.

Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN) have the ability to perform workers’ compensation
examinations and other procedures without the supervision, direction and co-signature of a physician
contingent upon compliance with all requirements set forth in C.G.S. Section 20-87a. The APRN will be
reimbursed at the lesser of seventy percent (70%) of the fee schedule allowable or billed charges.

*Assistant*

But its not important

We have been doing this since I graduated in 1888 and it worked just fine

I am the smartest guy in the room (insert recitation of resume) and there  is no need for a title change

MY job is fine

Lets gather more data

I could write 15 more reasons I have heard for why title change isn't important. Your issue boils down to parity and it is hard for an assistant to achieve parity with someone who isn't one. It always about whose ox is getting gored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

They are suggesting that I bring an APRN in at the duration of my visits (who I trained each and every one of them that work here) in order to make sure we get paid for all visits.

If a patient shows up on a day that I am in the office without an MD/APRN and it is a "3rd visit" office staff is now instructed to turn them away at the front desk, and schedule them with an MD/APRN another day.

Lovely

If you are an AAPA member or a member of your state chapter I'd encourage you to call and speak to them or email them and tell them your story. There are too many people in the title change conversation who are very blase about the whole thing. The AAPA HOD is meeting in the next couple for weeks to vote on the matter. They need to hear from everyone.

If you aren't a member...join. They need members and money to fight the fight

Good luck.

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OTP is going better than I could have imagined but that is, for now, mostly about eliminating state mandated supervision. It isn't everywhere by any means.

The OP's situation stems from reimbursement and supervision issues and is representative of us suffering from a set of rules because the rule maker sees "assistant" and either culls us out totally or divides us from the rest of the affected groups and make another set of rules for us.

We are making progress but it is going to be a years long job.

Edited by sas5814
  • Administrator

CGS is what, California or Colorado?  Apparently, Oregon has the same sort of stupidity.  Washington lets me be an attending provider indefinitely on labor and industries cases, but they pay me 90% of the physician scale for anything.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, ShakaHoo said:

Connecticut

Sorry, man, I was thinking of C-states and totally forgot yours.  In my defense, I did think "Carolinas" and decided that didn't make sense, but all y'all east of the Mississippi have so many small and insignificant states you can drive across without needing to gas up or hit a rest stop.... 🙂

• Haha 1
On 4/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, sas5814 said:

OTP is going better than I could have imagined but that is, for now, mostly about eliminating state mandated supervision. It isn't everywhere by any means.

The OP's situation stems from reimbursement and supervision issues and is representative of us suffering from a set of rules because the rule maker sees "assistant" and either culls us out totally or divides us from the rest of the affected groups and make another set of rules for us.

We are making progress but it is going to be a years long job.

I thought OTP just moved supervision to the organizational level away from the individual supervising physician.  It didn't eliminate it or actually unshackle us.  It simplifies some things, but instead of being an individual doctor's responsibility or lackey, I get to be the hospital or private practice/corporation (since they are all getting consumed up) lackey.

7 hours ago, sillycibin said:

I thought OTP just moved supervision to the organizational level away from the individual supervising physician.  It didn't eliminate it or actually unshackle us.  It simplifies some things, but instead of being an individual doctor's responsibility or lackey, I get to be the hospital or private practice/corporation (since they are all getting consumed up) lackey.

Which is all anyone in healthcare is these days, whether you're a physician, PA or NP, we're all lackeys to the healthcare corporation.

Dropping the individual doc requirement makes it a lot more palatable for many as the liability isn't targeted to a single person. Also helpful if that doc were to lose their license, quit or straight up for suddenly someday.

OTP is a fairy tale.  Anyone who thinks that it is going to make us more desirable than an NP who has full independence is kidding themselves.  It won't.  Not that it matters, we can't even get that passed because:  Assistant.

• Upvote 1