2021-2022 Application cycle

Hello everyone! I didn't see a post for this year's cycle so I'm super excited to start it. I"m very nervous about applying. Last year I only applied to about 3 schools because I didn't take the GRE. 

My undergrad GPA is very low so I'm stepping out on faith here, but my science gpa, postbacc gpa, and graduate gpa are all at least 3.0. 

Here are my hours: (I tried to overcompensate to offset the low GPA)

PCE: 8,000+ hrs as a Clinical research coordinator and PT aide

Research: 1,720 hrs

Extracurricular: 1,327 hrs 

Volunteer: 686 hrs (including Guatemala medical mission trip)

Shadowing: 100 hrs (dermatology, oncology, hematology, orthopedics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, thoracic surgery, and otolaryngology)

Leadership: 41 hrs

Teaching: 6 hrs

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

I submitted 5/19 and got verified 5/20! I saw on Duke's website that: "After the verified CASPA application has been received by the Duke PA Admission Office, the candidate will be e-mailed instructions on how to complete the Duke supplemental application."

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the supplemental app? I have not gotten it yet.

20 minutes ago, semblance said:

I submitted 5/19 and got verified 5/20! I saw on Duke's website that: "After the verified CASPA application has been received by the Duke PA Admission Office, the candidate will be e-mailed instructions on how to complete the Duke supplemental application."

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the supplemental app? I have not gotten it yet.

They said they will not receive applications from CASPA until mid to late June, so the supplemental applications will be emailed sometime after that.  

• Like 1

Just Applied (5/22/21)

Applicant Profile

Personal Profile:

Sex: Male

State of Residence: MS (underserved/rural county)

Academic:

cGPA: 3.50

sGPA: 3.56

Post-bac cGPA (57 credit hours): 3.66

Post-bac sGPA (46 credit hours): 3.73

***Post-bac performed working full-time, and my wife and I had our baby at the beginning of it all.

Supporting Info:

PCE: ~1,500hrs (ER tech)

HCE: ~4,500hrs (patient transport)

Other relevant work experience: 2 years as a personal trainer

LOR’s: 5 total (1 PA, 1 physician mentor, 3 professors)

Shadowing: 60hrs PA (cardiology, psychiatry), 100+hrs physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatric, orthopedic, ER)

Volunteer: ~200hrs (online crisis counselor)

Leadership: 200hrs (president of American Medical Student Association, local chapter)

Research: 150hrs (community-based research and outreach)

Teaching Experience: ~50-60hrs (tutor for a semester)

I will keep this updated with any notices of verification, interview, acceptances, etc. 

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Friends, 

I hope all and loved ones are well, safe, and healthy. 

I am applied to Duke University today! I'm so S-T-O-K-E-D!!!! Still waiting on CASPA Verification. 

First time applying to any PA Program, I've been waiting for this moment for almost twenty years. 

Good luck to all. 

Very Respectfully, 

Ryan C. Martin-Valenzuela, M.S. 

U.S. Navy, Retired 

My Pronouns Are: He/His/Him 

• Like 3

Question about the supplemental! Did everyone know they required PHYSICS? on CASPA there was no mention of a physics pre-req but on the supplemental essay its asking for one. I'll be pretty upset if I ended up spending $150+ applying here only to find out about this surprise class. 

I tried to submit my supplement tonight, but was unable to due to one course! The instructions say you cannot delete any courses, however, it also says not to list any courses you withdrew from. I have one course that I withdrew from and am unsure how to proceed. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi y'all! I submitted my supplemental today. This was my reach school given that my GRE and GPA are not my favorite but here are my stats as well! Also first time applying to Duke, but third round applying overall. 

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 3.22
Undergrad GPA: 3.01
Graduate GPA: 3.83
GRE: Quant and Verbal in the 40th percentile and writing in the 85th percentile

PCE: ~ 3,000 hrs
Volunteer: ~ 330 hrs
LOR: 5 total ( 2 PA'S, 2 physicians, 1 committee letter from 3 professors in my masters)

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 2

I’m doing the supplemental application right now, and I attended a university for four years and then got my degree. Then I came back to that same university as a post-bacc to take one class. In the “colleges attended” part, am I only mentioning the credits/GPA that I earned from my degree? I got a 3.68 for my bachelors, then that class as a post-bacc gave me four more credits and bumped to a 3.69 (obviously not a huge increase), what do I put?

Hey Everyone,

Duke is one of my top schools which I am anxious to get interviews for so let's take a stab at this.

Baccalaureate GPA: 3.1

S GPA: 3.2

Post-Baccalaureate GPA: 3.8 (Took 70 units of Science Courses lol)

Pre-Req GPA: 3.8 

PCE: 10,692 (OR Technician, Physical Therapy Assistant, Physiotherapy Assistant, Medical Assistant, ER Tech)

HCE: 5,422 (UCI Department Of Family Medicine, Geriatrics and Gerontology, Valley Regional Home Health and Hospice, Glendale Memorial Hospital ICU)

Shadowing Physicians and PA's: 832

Volunteering: AHA (Co-Marketing Board), ICU at Glendale Memorial Hospital, Committee for Armenian Students in Public Schools (Academic and Advisory Board), Kiwanis International, Armenian Student Association

Leadership: President of the Junior State of America Foundation, Glendale City Council, Scholarship Board of Sigma Pi

Research: UCI Health Promotion Campaign Proposal (Director of Campaign Proposal and Research)

Completed CASPA, verified and finished supplemental. Fingers crossed we all get a word soon!

I am a non traditional student and my grades are from 15 years ago when I was in undergrad. I did very poorly 15 years ago due to several reasons. I returned back to school and took 52.5 post baccalaureate and my GPA is over a 3.6 for those classes. My cumulative didn't go up that high since I have a bachelors in biology. I got 20 shadowing hours and 8,000 PCE as an EMT. I volunteered for several organizations. I also took the GRE 4 times and on the fourth try I made a 332 (162 V and 170 Q). I needed that to make up for my lackluster GPA. Anyone in here is a nontraditional with spouse and a kid(s). I am married and have a child. I know it's a little difficult having a family but it's nice to have a support group. 

• Like 4

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to share a quick blurb about my experience. I applied the 2020-2021 cycle and got in. Keep your heads up high and be proud of yourselves. Its taken a lot of work to get here. Be confident.

Duke didn't get back to me until Dec 2020 with an interview offered for Jan 2021 (actually on my birthday lol). That was 7 months after applying. At that point I had been accepted to a few other schools and was actually about to sign for an apartment else where because I figured they were NEVER going to get back to me!!

For any school, the people interviewing you just want to see your true self. So if you're too nervous and you cant shine, then you're standing in your own way. Do breathing techniques, go to a happy place in your mind, pretend they are distant cousins your about to meet... do whatever it takes to pull yourselves together. You owe it to yourself. I felt the same way about them (the interviewers) like I do about celebrities, they are just people. 

I wish all of you the best in this application cycle. I hope this helps someone.

- V

• Like 4

@FuturePAstudent11

It is basically CASPA all over again.. very tedious. Good news is they pull info from the CASPA, you kind of just have to organized it! Then there are 3 essays, 1 required, 2 optional; how life experiences have shaped you and your goals, if you have gaps in education and employment, and anything else you'd like them to know! 

• Upvote 1