Seriously, what is the fastest way to an NP degree??

My experience with FNP's and ACNP's hired for the ED was that the FNP's legally could see all ages but had no procedural training (got it OJT - mostly from us PA's) while the ACNP's had some procedural training but could only see patients 13 and older.  Some folks would start out as FNP's and then take the additional courses to get the additional ACNP certification.  From the practical point, they needed a lot of OJT.  From the perspective of the staffing company that hired all of us (one fo the big 3 EM staffing co's), we were all the same.  (sigh)

On 4/29/2021 at 11:53 PM, EMEDPA said:

Gotcha, thanks!

I also want to add that ACNP programs are being phased out (and rebranded as AGACNP) in which they can only see adult patients. So they, AGACNPs, can be found in ERs but are most useful in ERs that have separated Peds and Adult sections. An FNP/ENP has no business in inpatient settings (ICU comes to mind) - that should be reserved for AGACNPs.

Edited by Diggy

2 hours ago, Diggy said:

I also want to add that ACNP programs are being phased out (and rebranded as AGACNP) in which they can only see adult patients. So they, AGACNPs, can be found in ERs but they are most useful in ERs that have separated Peds and Adult sections. An FNP/ENP has no business in inpatient settings (ICU comes to mind) - that should be reserved for AGACNPs.

Correct. NP training is so very population specific. OJT can help, but the knowledge base really is tailored to our population.