2021-2022 Application cycle

Hello everyone! I didn't see a post for this year's cycle so I'm super excited to start it. I"m very nervous about applying. Last year I only applied to about 3 schools (including Rutgers) because I didn't take the GRE but I was denied without an interview. 

My undergrad GPA is very low so I'm stepping out on faith here, but my science gpa, postbacc gpa, and graduate gpa are all at least 3.0. 

Here are my hours: (I tried to overcompensate to offset the low GPA)

PCE: 8,000+ hrs as a Clinical research coordinator and PT aide

Research: 1,720 hrs

Extracurricular: 1,327 hrs 

Volunteer: 686 hrs (including Guatemala medical mission trip)

Shadowing: 100 hrs (dermatology, oncology, hematology, orthopedics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, thoracic surgery, and otolaryngology)

Leadership: 41 hrs

Teaching: 6 hrs

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:30 AM, MedIsLifePA said:

Hello everyone! I didn't see a post for this year's cycle so I'm super excited to start it. I"m very nervous about applying. Last year I only applied to about 3 schools (including Rutgers) because I didn't take the GRE but I was denied without an interview. 

My undergrad GPA is very low so I'm stepping out on faith here, but my science gpa, postbacc gpa, and graduate gpa are all at least 3.0. 

Here are my hours: (I tried to overcompensate to offset the low GPA)

PCE: 8,000+ hrs as a Clinical research coordinator and PT aide

Research: 1,720 hrs

Extracurricular: 1,327 hrs 

Volunteer: 686 hrs (including Guatemala medical mission trip)

Shadowing: 100 hrs (dermatology, oncology, hematology, orthopedics, emergency medicine, internal medicine, thoracic surgery, and otolaryngology)

Leadership: 41 hrs

Teaching: 6 hrs

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!! 

Did you apply around the same time last year?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Shriyac28 said:

Hey guys,

Quick question- How many outstanding prerequisites are allowed at the time of application?

Prerequisite Coursework

Applicants are required to complete all prerequisite coursework and earn a letter grade of C or better by the end of the spring semester prior to their start of the program. It is preferable that applicants complete all the required prerequisites prior to applying to the program; however, applicants with incomplete prerequisites may apply. Applicants with outstanding prerequisites must state how they will satisfy the prerequisites by the end of the spring semester prior to the start of the program.

source: https://shp.rutgers.edu/physician-assistant/master-of-science-physician-assistant-program/

Hello everyone! I am going to be a PA-S1 at Rutgers this fall. I applied in LATE July, got the "moved forward to second level of review" email in Oct, then finally got an interview invite in Dec.

I was a low gpa student (actually low gpa not like 3.3) and have been helped by so many people in my journey - feel free to message me for any advice I will try my best to keep in touch as the cycle moves forward. The interviews come in waves so don't be discouraged- please be patient and kind with yourselves through this process. 

Edited by yellowlantern24
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Just Applied (5/22/21)

Applicant Profile

Personal Profile:

Sex: Male

State of Residence: MS (underserved/rural county)

Academic:

cGPA: 3.50

sGPA: 3.56

Post-bac cGPA (57 credit hours): 3.66

Post-bac sGPA (46 credit hours): 3.73

***Post-bac performed working full-time, and my wife and I had our baby at the beginning of it all.

Supporting Info:

PCE: ~1,500hrs (ER tech)

HCE: ~4,500hrs (patient transport)

Other relevant work experience: 2 years as a personal trainer

LOR’s: 5 total (1 PA, 1 physician mentor, 3 professors)

Shadowing: 60hrs PA (cardiology, psychiatry), 100+hrs physician (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatric, orthopedic, ER)

Volunteer: ~200hrs (online crisis counselor)

Leadership: 200hrs (president of American Medical Student Association, local chapter)

Research: 150hrs (community-based research and outreach)

Teaching Experience: ~50-60hrs (tutor for a semester)

I will keep this updated with any notices of verification, interview, acceptances, etc. 

Good luck to everyone!

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, yellowlantern24 said:

Hello everyone! I am going to be a PA-S1 at Rutgers this fall. I applied in LATE July, got the "moved forward to second level of review" email in Oct, then finally got an interview invite in Dec.

I was a low gpa student (actually low gpa not like 3.3) and have been helped by so many people in my journey - feel free to message me for any advice I will try my best to keep in touch as the cycle moves forward. The interviews come in waves so don't be discouraged- please be patient and kind with yourselves through this process. 

Hey! Congrats on getting in despite the odds against you. What do you feel tipped the scales?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, yellowlantern24 said:

Did you have to submit a letter of explanation for your Low gpa ? 

On 5/26/2021 at 1:32 AM, Chloeloy22 said:

Does anyone know if organic chemistry counts as one of the upper level bio classes? I saw that some classes were listed with (organic chemistry) in parenthesis but I wasn’t sure if the title mattered as long as it was organic chemistry 

I used organic chem as an upper level bio!

17 hours ago, Chloeloy22 said:

Thank you! I’m getting antsy to here a response from them! It seems from previous forums they had already sent out confirmations/ interviews by this time  

same! i keep checking my email but i’m also terrified lol guess we’ll just have to wait and see 

10 hours ago, MedIsLifePA said:

Ughhhhh I submitted my CASPA 5/30 and they sent it back 5/31 saying something needed to be corrected on my transcripts but it didn't! I resubmitted on 5/31 and it hasn't been verified yet so it's holding me up and I'm getting so anxious. 

The same thing happened to me! I was told I had a technical glitch, their fault, on my personal info and they fixed it 1 week AFTER I was verified and had me resubmit and get verified all over again. Took another 3 days. 

6 minutes ago, sonson said:

You got a confirmation email from Rutgers your CASPA app? What did it say?

Yes - “Thank you for submitting your application to Rutgers PA program.  It is complete and verified.  We will send a follow up email once the review of your application has begun.”