Should I do a diy post bac or do a graduate program?

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read or reply.

I am in my late 20s and finishing my undergrad. I didn't do well at all in undergrad due to poor mental health and constant family troubles. I plan on retaking classes and also taking the ones I don't have after I am done.

For now I have a chance to take A&P 1 because I need 1 credit before graduating. Should i take this or does it matter in which sequence I retake classes? Does it matter if i take this now and general biology later? 

7 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

It doesnt matter at all in my opinion, just as long as you complete them

Thanks for the help! 

56 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

If that one class gets you your degree, I'd do it now, get the degree in the bag (might help with an interim job), and then take the classes you need (including at community college night school) to raise your GPA.

Thank you! I just realized I forgot to add the bit about the post bacc. Is a diy post bacc better than a masters program? 

9 hours ago, Newleaf said:

Thanks for the help! 

Thank you! I just realized I forgot to add the bit about the post bacc. Is a diy post bacc better than a masters program? 

Unless a masters gives you a better shot at another job in case you don't get into PA school or your undergrad years were so terrible that you need to prove you can do the work, I would say that just taking the classes you need is probably the most economical approach in both money and time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Unless a masters gives you a better shot at another job in case you don't get into PA school or your undergrad years were so terrible that you need to prove you can do the work, I would say that just taking the classes you need is probably the most economical approach in both money and time.

Thank you very much! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 8:26 AM, UGoLong said:

@UGoLong HUGE fan of your book first and foremost. Was a huge help in understanding that I had found my purpose in returning to school for an education in PA. Helped me a great deal also in being kinder to myself during my undergraduate career as there will be more trying times ahead of me in my aspiring career as a PA. 

Secondly, thanks for responding to @Newleaf's post as I am in a similar boat. Returning to school in my late 20s came at a time where other things culminated as well as far as mental health, personal life, a long with Life and all of its unpredictability. Between the epiphany had by the diagnosis of my learning disability of my own which made a lifelong struggle in academia make sense, and working 14+ hour shifts in the Urgent Cares of NYC during the apex of the COVID-19 pandemic, these things are reflected in my less impressive coursework. While I have gone on to repeat any (C+)> grades to make them A's and B's, CASPAs GPA calculations aren't in my favor and suggest I should improve my GPA. 

I have already been accepted to a 4 yr school to take more science courses to improve my GPA. However, at the advisement of a professor/PA at this same institution, I am applying for their MS in Biotechnology. I am debating: If accepted to MS program, drop post-bac coursework plan and matriculate to the 30 credit masters program (a year long program). OR if just take any course I can to improve my GPA, (+/-) earn a 2nd BS in Psychology (15 credits more than the MS - a year or longer).

That was a lot 😅 but I have been looking for all the ears willing to listen and advise me. I know now my purpose in life is to be a Physician Assistant and I am so very thankful that you chronicled your impressive journey to medicine in your book Mr. Brownstein.

Edited by FromMic2Meds
typo

3 hours ago, FromMic2Meds said:

@UGoLong HUGE fan of your book first and foremost. Was a huge help in understanding that I had found my purpose in returning to school for an education in PA. Helped me a great deal also in being kinder to myself during my undergraduate career as there will be more trying times ahead of me in my aspiring career as a PA. 

Secondly, thanks for responding to @Newleaf's post as I am in a similar boat. Returning to school in my late 20s came at a time where other things culminated as well as far as mental health, personal life, a long with Life and all of its unpredictability. Between the epiphany had by the diagnosis of my learning disability of my own which made a lifelong struggle in academia make sense, and working 14+ hour shifts in the Urgent Cares of NYC during the apex of the COVID-19 pandemic, these things are reflected in my less impressive coursework. While I have gone on to repeat any (C+)> grades to make them A's and B's, CASPAs GPA calculations aren't in my favor and suggest I should improve my GPA. 

I have already been accepted to a 4 yr school to take more science courses to improve my GPA. However, at the advisement of a professor/PA at this same institution, I am applying for their MS in Biotechnology. I am debating: If accepted to MS program, drop post-bac coursework plan and matriculate to the 30 credit masters program (a year long program). OR if just take any course I can to improve my GPA, (+/-) earn a 2nd BS in Psychology (15 credits more than the MS - a year or longer).

That was a lot 😅 but I have been looking for all the ears willing to listen and advise me. I know now my purpose in life is to be a Physician Assistant and I am so very thankful that you chronicled your impressive journey to medicine in your book Mr. Brownstein.

Thanks for the very kind words! I hope I was of some help.

Sounds like you've had a rough year but have worked out some things. That's pretty much the name of the game. If the biotech MS is something that might lead to a job that you would like even if you don't get into PA school, then that sounds like a plan.

As far as PA programs, the schools you apply to get a list of your grades cut several different ways: by year, bachelors vs grad school, science grades versus everything else, the grades in the required classes, etc. Taking a graduate degree and doing really well might help, but you probably would also benefit from replacing any of your really bad prereqs too.

One lesson I learned was that time could be a friend, not just an enemy. If your world is turning sideways, you can always step away from school for a term or two until things change or you get your head screwed on right. I did that for a year during my computer science masters because we moved into a house and had our daughter. Then I went back. If you're struggling with a learning disability, that might be a good time to hold up a bit too.

I wish you the very best, whatever you decide to do.