Residency Experiences

For those in residency/fellowship, I am curious of how you are treated as a PA in this unique training, both from MD/DO colleagues as well as attendings. Is it similar to any PGY#? Are there any procedures that you are excluded from? For EM and CC medicine, do you have the same access and opportunities for procedures as any other resident?

As a whole, does your particular program hire those who complete the residency?

Thanks.

This is likely very variable. Good residencies, of which there are several but comprise probably less than half of what is advertised as a “residency,” will treat you exactly like a physician resident with no difference between you and equivalent PGY# MD/DO. In my residency, you couldn’t tell a PA resident from any other. Also, a good residency will have a “your patient, your procedure” policy. This means no one can take away a procedure on a patient you picked up unless you give it away, which most good seniors PA and physician residents do. My ED chair said if any off service said we weren’t allowed an opportunity because we were a PA, to bring it to their attention and it would be handled. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lmnh123 said:

@LT_Oneal_PAC 

Hi, I have gathered a list. What do you think of this list? Should I remove some or add other programs [according to your list]. Also, do you know any CC residency that you think is good?

Thank you!

Arrowhead in CA
UCSF in CA
Albany in NY
Iowa in IA
Regions in MN
U of New Mexico
Yale 

Overall I think that is an excellent list. I would put arrowhead lower because I honestly don’t know much about how they operate. I would put Albany lower since I know it’s a 12 month program. 

I can’t comment much on CCM residencies. I think there is one at Madison Wisconsin that looks legit and the new one that @MediMikeis associated with looks good to go. Emory is also probably excellent, but unlike Mike’s, they have an employment requirement after that I’m not sure is worth the squeeze, but the cost of living may be an easier pill to swallow

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Sorry, I don't publicly give out information that would give away my anonymity, but I'm happy to provide a list of residencies that I believe are good. 

If you are still willing to provide the list, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure other users on this site would.

12 hours ago, lmnh123 said:

@LT_Oneal_PAC 

Hi, I have gathered a list. What do you think of this list? Should I remove some or add other programs [according to your list]. Also, do you know any CC residency that you think is good?

Thank you!

Arrowhead in CA
UCSF in CA
Albany in NY
Iowa in IA
Regions in MN
U of New Mexico
Yale 

3 hours ago, marcanomj said:

If you are still willing to provide the list, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure other users on this site would.

It’s actually essentially this list above, minus arrowhead and Albany.

@lmnh123 If you're interested in critical care residencies, you should also check out the programs at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Montefiore in the Bronx, and St Luke's in Bethelehem, PA. They have been established 10+ years and are well-integrated in their institutions.

I have heard only good things about all 3 programs from current and past residents. Hopkins also has an ER fellowship as well that is 18 months. I have interviewed at two of the above programs. I was very impressed with Hopkins and they certainly seem to live up to their name. 

Penn Medicine in Philadelphia also has a critical care residency. I don't know much about them, unfortunately, but something to look into. They don't have as much information posted online about their program as the other 3 programs do.

I'll be starting a critical care residency later this year and hope to share my experience here for those interested. Prior posts on here were very helpful for me when I was looking into applying so I hope to return the favor for others.

Edited by Jerobe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, CSCH said:

For CCM, don’t forget Emory. They were the first to get accredited by ARC-PA. Very strong formal clinical and didactic (including simulation labs) program

Although I've heard ARC-PA is back to accrediting residency programs I've heard the cost to get accredited is over 20k. PA residency programs don't make money so I would look at things beyond this accreditation as some programs opened during the time where they were not accrediting residences. 

Also as many have mentioned the term residency and or fellowship gets thrown around way too loosely. I'm in an 18 month residency but there are private groups in my area saying that they have residences prior to starting that are 90 days. That's an on boarding process not a residency.

I'm glad to see the ARC PA is back to accrediting but a high cost is going to be a deterrent from what I have heard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As has been mentioned in this thread and in other posts, be aware that Emory has an employment requirement after their residency. I dont doubt the experience that you gain there but you have to decide if staying there (or the financial penalty for not staying there) is worth it.

15 minutes ago, dphy83 said:

As has been mentioned in this thread and in other posts, be aware that Emory has an employment requirement after their residency. I dont doubt the experience that you gain there but you have to decide if staying there (or the financial penalty for not staying there) is worth it.

Any idea what the pay is once you’re done with the 12 months?

On 6/11/2021 at 1:10 PM, dphy83 said:

I don't think an employment requirement is the worse thing to ever happen for new grads given the current job market

Agree to disagree. I have no statistics to support my assumption but I doubt residency/fellowship grads are having a hard time finding a job unless there literally are no openings in their geographical area and they are unwilling to relocate. But if there is an opening they likely are at the top of the hire list (putting aside "internal" candidates - don't even get me started on that).

• Upvote 1

I now have to strike UCSF from my recommended list. I spoke with a person who interviewed there, a very reliable source, and they mentioned when discussing the best residencies that Fresno said you absolutely would not be performing like a physician resident and were strongly opposed to PAs working in EDs solo. Honestly, it explains a lot my interactions with them and my previous recommendation were based on there connection to EMRAP and it looking good on paper.

tl;dr UCSF Fresno is probably an okay program, but can no longer give it a recommendation. Certainly not for anyone wanting to work solo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2