What does the job market look like in Las Vegas right now?

I am graduating in August and i’m looking to move to a different state.

For my first job I am looking for a position that encompasses all aspects of medical care to really solidify my knowledge and build a good skill base.  Fields like primary care, hospital medicine, and emergency would be productive first jobs for me. I like certain specialties as well like cardio, endocrine, and psych but don’t want to pigeonhole my knowledge.

Can anyone shed some light on what the job market looks like in Las Vegas right now?

Edited by place123

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

Do a residency and even that might not be enough, but it's a start.  New grads are in a rough spot.

Residency is definitely an option however I would much rather take a job in a hospital if possible.

I also may be able to work in a family practice that is owned by a close family friend temporarily as I try to move to a different state.

But I would really like to know the job market of Las Vegas

Edited by place123
  • Like 1

I remember the feeling of endless opportunity while I was in school, constantly being told there were 20:1 jobs per PA. All smoke and mirrors, actually the opposite. My best guess is that it’s likely not too different than the rest of the mountain west metropolitan (highly competitive), but of course even worse now after 2020. 

Start applying now. Or you’ll likely be stuck looking gigs jobless for 6 months and well into a year after you graduate.

• place123 changed the title to What does the job market look like in Las Vegas right now?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 8:42 PM, ANESMCR said:

I remember the feeling of endless opportunity while I was in school, constantly being told there were 20:1 jobs per PA. All smoke and mirrors, actually the opposite. My best guess is that it’s likely not too different than the rest of the mountain west metropolitan (highly competitive), but of course even worse now after 2020. 

Start applying now. Or you’ll likely be stuck looking gigs jobless for 6 months and well into a year after you graduate.

It seems there is a lot of jobs here in New York. But I don’t want to live here. 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:07 PM, WantToHopeForPAfuture said:

Yeah good luck being able to buy a house with a PA salary there esp in this hot hot housing market 

And thats not even my biggest concern right now.  Its hard or near impossible to do a lot of things here that I could easily do growing up in Southern California.  

I'm glad you are open to moving. That increases your chances of finding a good position significantly. Are you locked into Vegas  or large metro areas in particular? The more you are willing to go some place other folks don't want to go the more likely you are to find something.

Rural areas and under served areas often have immediate needs, would be happy to have a new grad, and the pay is often excellent compared to the lower COL.

It isn't for everyone. I grew up in Atlanta GA and in my 20s my wife dragged me out to a little farmhouse out in the country and I have never looked back. Since then I have always worked in small towns, rural areas, and usually with under served populations. You will be wanted, appreciated, and your work will be respected.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 11:02 AM, sas5814 said:

I'm glad you are open to moving. That increases your chances of finding a good position significantly. Are you locked into Vegas  or large metro areas in particular? The more you are willing to go some place other folks don't want to go the more likely you are to find something.

Rural areas and under served areas often have immediate needs, would be happy to have a new grad, and the pay is often excellent compared to the lower COL.

It isn't for everyone. I grew up in Atlanta GA and in my 20s my wife dragged me out to a little farmhouse out in the country and I have never looked back. Since then I have always worked in small towns, rural areas, and usually with under served populations. You will be wanted, appreciated, and your work will be respected.

Hey thank you for your response!

I am not opposed to rural work at all, however my lifestyle right now seems like it would require a larger city.

My experience here in NY working with the underserved is exactly how you described too so I get what you are saying.

I actually prefer rural living too.  But the things tying me to a city are my interests and socializing. I am a single male and have a lot of interests and hobbies.

I also feel having big hospital experience would be be better for resume building than small office but I could be wrong there.