Will letting my EMT-B certification expire hurt my application?

Hi all,

I searched for this in previous threads but couldn't find an answer. My EMT-B certification is going to expire next year. I work as a PCA at a group home so I don't actually need the certification for my job. At this point, it's going to be quite a bit of money and time for the continuing ed classes, refresher course, and recert fee. Will it be a detriment to my PA application if I just let it expire?

• Administrator

NEVER let an EMT cert lapse. The recert may be painful, but not nearly so painful as taking the whole EMT class again. Last EMT class I taught, about 1/8th of the class (3 of 24) were former EMT's, including one EMT-I, who were redoing everything from scratch because they let their certs lapse. If there's any chance you'll use it in the future, keep it now...

NEVER let an EMT cert lapse. The recert may be painful, but not nearly so painful as taking the whole EMT class again. Last EMT class I taught, about 1/8th of the class (3 of 24) were former EMT's, including one EMT-I, who were redoing everything from scratch because they let their certs lapse. If there's any chance you'll use it in the future, keep it now...

also true. if you think you will ever need it don't let it go. if you don't think you will ever use it and the expense is huge to maintain it, let it go.

My EMT-B expired last year. I didn't want it to but the only refresher programs I could find would have required me to drive 4 hours a day and miss several classes with labs to keep it, so I just let it go. I literally called over 30 people who referred me to someone else until I ended up in a circle.The website gives certain breakdowns of how you can re-cert after expiration. If I were to need it right after graduating I could take the refresher course and the test again. Basically you'll have more time to decide if you need it, but it will cost a little more to add in the test fee.

Archived