Unique/non-traditional start dates

Looking ahead, my PA program has a winter graduation date. Does anyone know of EM or critical care residencies/fellowships with more flexible start dates (such as January/spring/etc)? Ideally, one would graduate and then enter this training. However, I believe there may be a decent time gap. For those who waited ~six months, did you work in the meantime? My concern is the investment in applications, learning a position, then leaving in such a short timeframe.

Thoughts?

Most of the programs post their start dates on their websites so look their first (APPAP website for a list of most of the current programs). Several have different cohorts starting at different times in the year. I've found some flexibility with some program start dates too, so I'd recommend contacting programs you may be interested in.

I graduated in October (graduation was delayed form August to October due to COVID concerns). 

Here is a list for you with spring start dates or later 

1. Johns Hopkins, University of Missouri, Regions Hospital, UNM, UCSF, URMC, UPMC, Albert Einstein in Philly, Arrowhead (they have three that you can apply to via vituity, Marquette, Yale, Baylor college of Medicine in Texas

In terms work, look for 1099 work. I helped establish and run COVID19 vaccine clinics and worked in disaster medicine. Otherwise, take some time off and prepare for your specialty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, TeddyRucpin said:

Looking ahead, my PA program has a winter graduation date. Does anyone know of EM or critical care residencies/fellowships with more flexible start dates (such as January/spring/etc)? Ideally, one would graduate and then enter this training. However, I believe there may be a decent time gap. For those who waited ~six months, did you work in the meantime? My concern is the investment in applications, learning a position, then leaving in such a short timeframe.

Thoughts?

If you haven't yet, I highly suggest checking out this website: https://appap.org/programs/postgraduate-pa-np-programs-listings/ 

It has all of the accredited post-grad programs across the country, and you can easily search it by state, specialty, etc, or look at everything on a big PDF spreadsheet that is broken down by specialty, but lists start dates, due dates, class sizes, etc all in one place. I also have a December graduation and will possibly be applying to 1 post-grad program thanks to this helpful site! Best of luck to you!