PA's being pressured to do things they shouldn't....

Recently had a job offer, said they would get me a contract then nothing.  The doc said don't worry they will eventually get it to you, in the meantime come in for orientation with me and see patients to learn our system.  No contract with malpractice agreement...nothing.  I tried to explain that I could not do that and I get that "wow are you going to be difficult to work with" look.  Good grief.

It's just staggering to me the things I have seen which would directly put my license in jeopardy, not to mention my bank account if I just "went along".  Getting tired of trying to protect my own license to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

No contract...no job.

A few times over the years I have had folks who were going into business with someone ask me about a contract and I advised them not to move an inch until they had a contract in hand. Long story short an old friend helped a cardiologist start and grow a new practice and the contract? "We will get to it...trust me!"

2 years later the place is booming and the cards takes on another cardiologist as a partner and streets my PA bud. I have no doubt his new partner had to buy into the practice.

No contract...no job.

People hard up for work will often do things like this to "get along." I'm happy to follow someone around and get a sense of the job but I'm not touching anyone until I have a job with everything spelled out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Cideous said:

I tried to explain that I could not do that and I get that "wow are you going to be difficult to work with" look.

19 hours ago, sas5814 said:

People hard up for work will often do things like this to "get along." I'm happy to follow someone around and get a sense of the job but I'm not touching anyone until I have a job with everything spelled out.

It seems that practices and hospital systems are used to or even expect compliance and they do not respond well to people asking poignant questions or pointing out discrepancies.

So true. They seem to want Minions not thinkers. I was deep into the hiring process here and was told I couldn't prescribe scheduled drugs and I asked why. I was told it wasn't permitted in Texas or LA (which is irrelevant because this is the VA) I pointed out it was permitted by law in both states and the interview stalled. I thought I had screwed the pooch. Turns out they had a regional scandal involving a doc and a PA essentially selling drugs and, as large systems and government agencies are prone to do, they massively over corrected instead of just dealing with the bad actors. I'm still scratching to get some basic stuff like Lyrica prescribed.

A few weeks earlier I did a phone interview with the medical director of a large occ med clinic system who wanted me to do a working interview and we had the same type conversation Cid had. I told him I'd love to spend a few hours shadowing but I couldn't put hands on a patient in any way until all the state supervision rules were met and I was under a malpractice umbrella. He made a noise like he just stepped in dog poop.

3 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I told him I'd love to spend a few hours shadowing but I couldn't put hands on a patient in any way until all the state supervision rules were met and I was under a malpractice umbrella. He made a noise like he just stepped in dog poop.

EXACTLY the sound I heard.  I'm just thinking, "come on man, really?".  It just becomes exasperating dealing with this again and again....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrator

I might be tempted to respond with something along the lines of "Since you asked me to do something illegal, I'm assuming that was an ethics test.  If it was, I obviously just passed, and I'll be expecting a written offer within 48 hours; if it wasn't, then I'm afraid a medical board complaint might be necessary."  Of course, I wouldn't take any such offer, but it would be interesting to see if the HR machinery would respond appropriately to such an exposure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

I might be tempted to respond with something along the lines of "Since you asked me to do something illegal, I'm assuming that was an ethics test.  If it was, I obviously just passed, and I'll be expecting a written offer within 48 hours; if it wasn't, then I'm afraid a medical board complaint might be necessary."  Of course, I wouldn't take any such offer, but it would be interesting to see if the HR machinery would respond appropriately to such an exposure.

I'm afraid the most HR would do would be to do some research and tell the interviewer not to ask that type of question again.  I really doubt you'd see any sort of offer and if you got any other communication it would be something along the lines of we're looking for a candidate who's a better fit.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I'm afraid the most HR would do would be to do some research and tell the interviewer not to ask that type of question again.  I really doubt you'd see any sort of offer and if you got any other communication it would be something along the lines of we're looking for a candidate who's a better fit.

Oh, I don't disagree, but if they did make some sort of request in a recorded medium, e.g. email or text, the likelihood of a positive outcome for the candidate might be nonzero.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, sas5814 said:

So true. They seem to want Minions not thinkers. I was deep into the hiring process here and was told I couldn't prescribe scheduled drugs and I asked why. I was told it wasn't permitted in Texas or LA (which is irrelevant because this is the VA) I pointed out it was permitted by law in both states and the interview stalled. I thought I had screwed the pooch. Turns out they had a regional scandal involving a doc and a PA essentially selling drugs and, as large systems and government agencies are prone to do, they massively over corrected instead of just dealing with the bad actors. I'm still scratching to get some basic stuff like Lyrica prescribed.

A few weeks earlier I did a phone interview with the medical director of a large occ med clinic system who wanted me to do a working interview and we had the same type conversation Cid had. I told him I'd love to spend a few hours shadowing but I couldn't put hands on a patient in any way until all the state supervision rules were met and I was under a malpractice umbrella. He made a noise like he just stepped in dog poop.

Lay your hands on a patient?  Were you being interviewed by Bon Jovi?

Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me
All you got to do is
Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me
Now listen up!
I'm a fighter, I'm a poet, I'm a preacher
I've been to school, oh baby, I've been the teacher
If you show me how to get up off the ground
I can show you how to fly and never ever come back down
Everything you want is what I need
Your satisfaction is, um... guaranteed
But the ride don't never ever come for free, no-oh-oh
If you want me to lay my hands on you