PA legislation

OTP type changes have happened and continue to happen at a speed I couldn't imagine 2 years ago. When discussing it with one national leader we thought 4 or 5 states in the first 2 years would be exceptional. I have lost count now of how many states either have made changes or have them in the hopper for the next legislative session. It is a lot if not a majority.

Practice level collaboration is fast becoming the norm and resistance to it will be less and less as states see it didn't bring on the end times.

SOME title change is going to happen though there is a lot of resistance within our own ranks. The biggest seems to be coming from old PAs who are very happy living in the days of yore and (in their retirement) don't see a need for it. I also expect our three other "pillars" will speak against it for their own self interested reasons. Watch what happens at the HOD to see if I am right. I'm not quite sure why non-AAPA groups with their own agenda get to speak at all but that is a different discussion.

Bigger OTP goals like having our own PA boards will be harder and will take longer.

Overall I think we are moving in a very positive direction and, if we can avoid cutting our own throats, will come out in a good position.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

OTP type changes have happened and continue to happen at a speed I couldn't imagine 2 years ago. When discussing it with one national leader we thought 4 or 5 states in the first 2 years would be exceptional. I have lost count now of how many states either have made changes or have them in the hopper for the next legislative session. It is a lot if not a majority.

Practice level collaboration is fast becoming the norm and resistance to it will be less and less as states see it didn't bring on the end times.

SOME title change is going to happen though there is a lot of resistance within our own ranks. The biggest seems to be coming from old PAs who are very happy living in the days of yore and (in their retirement) don't see a need for it. I also expect our three other "pillars" will speak against it for their own self interested reasons. Watch what happens at the HOD to see if I am right. I'm not quite sure why non-AAPA groups with their own agenda get to speak at all but that is a different discussion.

Bigger OTP goals like having our own PA boards will be harder and will take longer.

Overall I think we are moving in a very positive direction and, if we can avoid cutting our own throats, will come out in a good position.

Entering PA school this summer but it does feel like I’m reading state enhancements on a weekly basis, especially near and after the new year  

Would you mind explaining the benefits with scope determined at the practice level? I imagine there may have been certain restrictions when on state level but specific examples would be helpful.

Also, is there a real benefit with changing the term “supervisor/supervision” to “collaboration/collaborative?” besides verbiage?

21 hours ago, TeddyRucpin said:

Entering PA school this summer but it does feel like I’m reading state enhancements on a weekly basis, especially near and after the new year  

Would you mind explaining the benefits with scope determined at the practice level? I imagine there may have been certain restrictions when on state level but specific examples would be helpful.

Also, is there a real benefit with changing the term “supervisor/supervision” to “collaboration/collaborative?” besides verbiage?

For many years our practice was limited by a rigid set of rules written and enforced at the state level. It generally required we be tied to a specific physician or number of physicians and each had to be registered with the state. No matter your skills and experience you had this state mandated rules you had to follow.

With the changes you simply go to work, are part of a team, and your practice decides how you are utilized and who you are associated with.

Besides the ease of this new system it reduces the administrative burden and costs of employing PAs making us more competitive in the job market.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Some specific prohibitions from states where I'm licensed (varies by state):

• pronouncing death
  • signing mental health holds
  • performing procedural sedations and/or ordering meds for RSI
  • admitting patients to the hospital

All are very relevant and limiting to someone who practices EM.  Removing state level legislative and rule level prohibitions and making those decisions at the practice/hospital credentialing level would open up doors and permit more autonomous practice.

18 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Some specific prohibitions from states where I'm licensed (varies by state):

• pronouncing death
  • signing mental health holds
  • performing procedural sedations and/or ordering meds for RSI
  • admitting patients to the hospital

All are very relevant and limiting to someone who practices EM.  Removing state level legislative and rule level prohibitions and making those decisions at the practice/hospital credentialing level would open up doors and permit more autonomous practice.

those are all unacceptable. In WA I can do all of those things.