How have you been getting PCE hours and Shadowing Hours during COVID

Hi, I have finally decided that I want to go to PA school and am near the end of my second year. However, due to COVID, it is very difficult to find Patient Care Experience as a college student as well as shadowing. Can anyone tell me how they get these hours? It's been very difficult for me...

Sophiia you may want to consider working as a nurse aide in a long term care facility. I applied for a month long program around May last year because I was nearly finished with prerequisites and had zero patient care experience. Working during covid is an experience I'll probably never forget. At least here in New York City, there was a shortage in nursing home staff. Pay isn't great but you get a lot of experience in patient interactions. If you can find PCT/PCA training programs, the pay is better.

I hope that was helpful.

I was able to find a PA to shadow by asking my doctor at the clinic I go to. It’s all about who you know. Once getting the opportunity to shadow one PA, they may give you names of other PAs and recommend you to them to shadow. 

Another option is to comprise a list of all of the clinics around where you live. Call/ email all of them and inquire. The worst that can happen is they say no and you can move on. All it takes is one to say yes for doors to start opening for you.

I’ve also heard of a lot of people making connections at hospitals they’ve volunteered at and asked about shadowing. You can try this if you are looking to increase volunteer hours also.

If none of those work, there are a lot of virtual shadowing opportunities you can look up on instagram, facebook, etc. You may have to check with schools first to see if they accept it as shadowing hours. Even if they don’t, it never hurts to put on your application. Programs are well aware COVID is making things hard. Good luck.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:39 PM, Sophiia said:

Hi, I have finally decided that I want to go to PA school and am near the end of my second year. However, due to COVID, it is very difficult to find Patient Care Experience as a college student as well as shadowing. Can anyone tell me how they get these hours? It's been very difficult for me...

I'm sorry for not providing a comment that could somehow help you solving this issue of clarifying your doubt. However all I can say is that I really wish you the best, and I really hope you manage to achieve this goal.