Jump to content

Accepted, but torn between reapplying...


Recommended Posts

I have been accepted to a program to start in the fall; the deposit was placed months ago before hearing back from other schools, but after hearing back from all the schools around my area, this is my only option as of right now... 

I am having cold feet attending the program because of the length and location. I have evaluated the pros and cons of attending vs not attending and the gist of it is...

  • Pros of attending: begin career path soon, experience a new location. 
  • Cons of attending: Graduating w/ $180k+ in debt and away from home. 

 

  • Pros of not attending: minimize undergraduate debt, minimize future income-to-debt ratio. remain close to home.
  • Cons of not attending: delay career path a few more year, risk of not getting into another program, and possible regret of not going. 

Why did I apply in the first place? I did not expect to get in anywhere so I spanned my options far and wide, met the requirements, and liked program on paper. Ultimately further torn because PA school is expensive and the fact that it is "okay" to take out an immense amount of loans is ridiculous - they want POC to attend these programs but it is tough. Furthermore, the programs close to home would cost about the same in tuition, but a bit less in COL b/c of program length. 

Edited by Noknok
More information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

Just out of curiosity, what does the $180k in loans actually cover (i.e., how much is tuition and how much is for living expenses) and how long is the program?

~$110k tuition. 

~$60k for living expenses for 3 years; there are also other expenses such as flights, vehicle, etc.

Program is 33 months. 

Edited by Noknok
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats, and this is a hard decision. I think you have to way your stats and likelihood of getting into another program. If you think your chances are low, and this is your dream, maybe the program you were accepted into is your way to fulfill your dream, even with a huge amount of debt. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similar situation when I was there. Go and get it over with or stay home and wait for acceptance to a local program. I ended up moving to the other side of the country. Ended up staying there and working after. At first, I was wishing I had waited, but then I got comfortable. In fact, being away from family was more conducive to productivity than anything. Looking back, I’m glad I got it out of the way when I did and don’t regret moving. I lost relationships, but gained others. You will grow from the experience. Big changes are scary, and that’s understandable. This is a tough decision but it will come to you. But also consider, you have a spot someone else has been begging for, likely for multiple cycles. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Janie55 said:

Congrats, and this is a hard decision. I think you have to way your stats and likelihood of getting into another program. If you think your chances are low, and this is your dream, maybe the program you were accepted into is your way to fulfill your dream, even with a huge amount of debt. 

I was able to receive two interviews from my state and one interview out of state where I was accepted. In regards to the two in my state, one was a REACH (no intention of even being interviewed) and the other I was informed that if I received an interview then it was my interview that did not get me accepted. I was advised to also retake one or two small pre-reqs, which I may do. With that being said, I think my chances are okay - possibly better (more experience) and possibly worse (because I had no intentions of reapplying so did not increase involvement or retake courses). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

I had a similar situation when I was there. Go and get it over with or stay home and wait for acceptance to a local program. I ended up moving to the other side of the country. Ended up staying there and working after. At first, I was wishing I had waited, but then I got comfortable. In fact, being away from family was more conducive to productivity than anything. Looking back, I’m glad I got it out of the way when I did and don’t regret moving. I lost relationships, but gained others. You will grow from the experience. Big changes are scary, and that’s understandable. This is a tough decision but it will come to you. But also consider, you have a spot someone else has been begging for, likely for multiple cycles. 

I appreciate you and everybody else's input. There are a few reasons as to why I am not just jumping the wave and riding it, it is easier said than done. It sucks. However, this is reassuring to hear from you. Yeah, I hope it comes soon because I cannot even enjoy my time anymore since I am overwhelmed on what I want and need to do. I thought about that recently too. 😪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will likely work out either way. If the money and the time away are the big issue, then wait a year, fix your prereqs, and give it another shot. That you found a place the first time is a good omen. And having gone through this experience once should make it easier next time.

Good luck!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, Noknok said:

I have been accepted to a program to start in the fall; the deposit was placed months ago before hearing back from other schools, but after hearing back from all the schools around my area, this is my only option as of right now... 

I am having cold feet attending the program because of the length and location. I have evaluated the pros and cons of attending vs not attending and the gist of it is...

  • Pros of attending: begin career path soon, experience a new location. 
  • Cons of attending: Graduating w/ $180k+ in debt and away from home. 

 

  • Pros of not attending: minimize undergraduate debt, minimize future income-to-debt ratio. remain close to home.
  • Cons of not attending: delay career path a few more year, risk of not getting into another program, and possible regret of not going. 

Why did I apply in the first place? I did not expect to get in anywhere so I spanned my options far and wide, met the requirements, and liked program on paper. Ultimately further torn because PA school is expensive and the fact that it is "okay" to take out an immense amount of loans is ridiculous - they want POC to attend these programs but it is tough. Furthermore, the programs close to home would cost about the same in tuition, but a bit less in COL b/c of program length. 

Congratulations for being accepted in that program. Do your best and do it right!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, UGoLong said:

It will likely work out either way. If the money and the time away are the big issue, then wait a year, fix your prereqs, and give it another shot. That you found a place the first time is a good omen. And having gone through this experience once should make it easier next time.

Good luck!

It will likely work out whether I attend or retract and reapply this cycle? That means a lot. Thank you UGoLong! I appreciate it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, st3ppingstoneinlife said:

Congratulations for being accepted in that program. Do your best and do it right!

I am trying to do my best and do it right, but I guess this life transition has me stumped emotionally, financially and mentally. It is frustrating how prior to all this I wanted to just be accepted and now that I have that option, reality hit and I am stuck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Noknok said:

It will likely work out whether I attend or retract and reapply this cycle? That means a lot. Thank you UGoLong! I appreciate it. 

Your life will likely work out whether you go this year or wait.

If you decide to withdraw your app, just say that you have some situational issues to work out this year and you plan on reapplying next year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 12:06 PM, UGoLong said:

Your life will likely work out whether you go this year or wait.

If you decide to withdraw your app, just say that you have some situational issues to work out this year and you plan on reapplying next year.

Thank you sir. I feel content with staying home, working another year, reapplying this cycle, and riding out the wave as I get to improve my mental health and do other activities. However, it is so difficult to let go of the acceptance and withdraw. A part of me wants to go experience it, but I am not sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, Noknok said:

I am trying to do my best and do it right, but I guess this life transition has me stumped emotionally, financially and mentally. It is frustrating how prior to all this I wanted to just be accepted and now that I have that option, reality hit and I am stuck. 

I perfectly understand your situation since I've been there before. Here's an advice, try not paying attention to your emotions and just go for it. Eventually, things will be ok and you'll be on your best moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More