Virginia Mason Franciscan Health Critical Care APP Fellowship in Tacoma

On 8/8/2021 at 7:49 PM, MSPAC2 said:

How do the programs enforce the contract obligation post-training? Is it a dollar amount that has to be repaid?

Sorry for the delay in response, but yes, there will apparently be a financial penalty if the contract isn't met post-training. Sounds like this was a requirement for our organization to sponsor the program, definitely not a choice by our team.

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Parashooter79 said:

So for a new grad interested in this area of medicine you would recommend 3-5 years in general, experience in ICU? I grad UW MEDEx this Aug and I’m interested in Acute care, Emergency medicine, Surgery. We are permanently relocating to the area from Missoula MT this fall so the 2 commitment isn’t an issue. 

Not sure I'm understanding your question? Recommend 3-5 years of experience for what? 🙂

I believe we had some current PA's in critical care at VMFH speak to our cohort in Tacoma not too long ago. I wish I had more opportunity to speak with them while I had the chance. It sounds like the fellowship has core training as well as some work with other services like CT surgery, trauma and cardio etc. Is it that you need familiarity with these specialties or is there some crossover opportunities for a critical care PA's to first assist for certain surgeries, or other procedures. I guess I don't fully understand the scope of practice for cc Pa's in this particular context.  Thanks for any clarification you can provide. 

Cheers!!

Actually believe it was me as well as the current fellowship director who came and spoke with your class!

The goal of off service rotations is multifactorial, primarily it's so you can obtain a broad range of knowledge regarding each specialty, knowledge which can be utilized in your day to day practice if you choose to stay with MICU/SICU. The other benefit is if you choose to someday take a position with trauma or acute care surgery or CTS etc you'll have some baseline grasp of what they deal with, their flow etc.

The PAs who work for the CTS service manage their patients post op as well as first assisting, the trauma PAs do the same. My team manages primarily medical ICU patients with comanagement of some surgical patients thrown in on occasion.

Always happy to answer any questions you've got!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parashooter79 said:

I believe we had some current PA's in critical care at VMFH speak to our cohort in Tacoma not too long ago. I wish I had more opportunity to speak with them while I had the chance. It sounds like the fellowship has core training as well as some work with other services like CT surgery, trauma and cardio etc. Is it that you need familiarity with these specialties or is there some crossover opportunities for a critical care PA's to first assist for certain surgeries, or other procedures. I guess I don't fully understand the scope of practice for cc Pa's in this particular context.  Thanks for any clarification you can provide. 

Cheers!!

I don’t know how Mike’s place works, but typically in residency when a medical resident does a off service rotation with surgery, they do not go to the operating room. Rather they manage the floors and ICU patients, as well as answering consults. In this case I imagine it would be more like the fellows where they only manage the ICU patients. I never went to the OR with trauma surgery or ortho on those off service rotations. There is little to nothing to be gleaned for a medical resident spending time in the OR. I mean, there could, but you would just be treated lower than an intern and retract the whole time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
41 minutes ago, Broderick said:

Does this residency require night-shift rotations? Or post-fellowship positions that require night-shift rotations? Thanks!

Yes, our fellows rotate through days and nights, our FT positions are primarily nights with random 5-7 day stretches mixed in every couple months.  Some folks prefer days and I'll give my shifts up, nightwalking is my jam.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 8:31 PM, MediMike said:

Yes, our fellows rotate through days and nights, our FT positions are primarily nights with random 5-7 day stretches mixed in every couple months.  Some folks prefer days and I'll give my shifts up, nightwalking is my jam.

I’m starting PA school in 2023. Do you think students might be able to shadow one of the PAs in this fellowship to see if they would like to apply after graduation? I’m a newbie so forgive me if this isn’t actually a thing. Just curious.