Need Urgent Advice : Things not improving even after 5 months

Hello folks , 

I had mentioned earlier that I took a job in a private clinic ( Internal Medicine ) 5 months ago after working for corrections for 2 yrs . I was promised 36 hrs a week  I took this job even after a pay cut ( $9 less than what I was making ) to gain some experience as I always wanted to be in Internal Medicine. Even after 5 months , I am not getting my hours .

I have a feeling that I will be exploited , over worked and underplayed and really don’t see a future here , looking into other options and have an interview ( zoom) with medically home . ( It’s providing acute cate at home ) . But my heart is breaking for all those patients who are depending and have future appointments with me . 

After a meeting with him ( supervisor yesterday ) be is just opening one Friday a month for half a day . Also I feel I am underpaid for the amount of work I do .I see 24 patients a day , look into his inbox and also other paper work. He does not want to pay over time . I feel very frustrated and taken for granted . The only positive thing is I have gained lots of experience and have made very good connections with the patients 

I have a feeling that I will be exploited , over worked and underplayed and really don’t see a future here , looking into other options and have an interview ( zoom) with medically home . ( It’s providing acute cate at home ) . But my heart is breaking for all those patients who are depending and have future appointments with me . 

I really want to move forward as it’s not worth my time . I have had several meetings with him but nothing h has changed except for opening a half day a month . Any feed back is appreciated . Thank you. 

Any advice regarding this situation is appreciated. Thank you 

Edited by Empowred

Get your experience and get out. Trust your gut. These things rarely improve and often get worse the more invested they feel you are.

Don't worry about the patients. You didn't create this circumstance. You employer will play on your guilt if you let them.

There are a lot of crappy jobs out there and most of us have had one. It isn't worth your sanity or your happiness.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Empowred said:

Thank you SAS 5814 

That is  exactly what was going through my mind. I doubt if the situation is going to change as I had several discussions and it remains the same. Thank you for your response. 

Be sure you have another job before you walk.  It's a horrible time to be looking.

24 patients a day in Internal Medicine is DUMB.

Yes, you are being abused.

You should be a "partner" in the practice as far as caring for patients and being utilized to the fullest of your education and license.

Find another spot and go - without guilt - you care thus you worry about your patients - that speaks volumes to me - but you have to be able to practice fully to be effective - and happy.

RUN

1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

You should be a "partner" in the practice as far as caring for patients and being utilized to the fullest of your education and license.

The thing is, even a lot of docs are no longer partners in the system. They ceded control over to bureaucrats over the promise of more money. 

• Sad 1

If you are a PA in a corporate environment - then you are a cog in the machine, just as the doc and the doc should have no real "power" over what you do and when.

In a solo private practice - yep, I was in one for a bit too long - you are a tool - all meanings intended. Docs see you as an employee and peon to do their bidding. 

No matter what - PRACTICE MEDICINE. Don't be a scud worker.

1 hour ago, Rose66 said:

I am in the same situation, underpay, overwork and on top of that they are cutting my hrs with the excuse I am not meeting the numbers, still looking on the side with no luck so far, I feel the door is closing for PA's...

10 years from now when the door has closed on us and these boards are dead or a dead man walking, I am going to re-post some of my 2009 posts warning of this very thing.  I have been a voice in the wilderness screaming that we are dying and yet...nothing.  It is really tough to just sit here and watch it happen like a train wreck in slow motion. 

• Like 1

My state has had independent practice for NP since approximately 2013. There are jobs for PA's in surgery, some sub specialties, and occasionally, rarely, if urgent care cant find NP.  I spoke with one of our hospital admin about a position in primary care a week or so ago.  I mentioned a PA friend, 5+ years experience and provided a quick description of background who may be interested.  Initially he said she sounds perfect, please have her contact us. I replied great, it has been tough because most of the positions have gone to NP.  He then replied, oh yes, it is for NP, they are independent, I forgot PA's are not, we will be hiring NP.  Now, if they have any surgical positions, we hire PA, but they are also open to NP. This will be the 3rd position, 2nd one about 3 months ago, all within a year for APP in primary care. I've seen posts of PA's telling those searching for jobs to look rural.  Two of the three were satellite clinics 30-45 min, on back roads, from any semi major establishment like Walmart or Home Depot.

IF PA's do not support a title change that doesn't include physician or assistant, and do not support more independence, then I guess they don't deserve a future because they are stuck in the past.  Medicine evolves and changes, technology evolves and changes.  It still boggles my mind how so many PA's, enough to stop or seriously hamper progress, are so ignorant to changes occurring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

My state has had independent practice for NP since approximately 2013. There are jobs for PA's in surgery, some sub specialties, and occasionally, rarely, if urgent care cant find NP.  I spoke with one of our hospital admin about a position in primary care a week or so ago.  I mentioned a PA friend, 5+ years experience and provided a quick description of background who may be interested.  Initially he said she sounds perfect, please have her contact us. I replied great, it has been tough because most of the positions have gone to NP.  He then replied, oh yes, it is for NP, they are independent, I forgot PA's are not, we will be hiring NP.  Now, if they have any surgical positions, we hire PA, but they are also open to NP. This will be the 3rd position, 2nd one about 3 months ago, all within a year for APP in primary care. I've seen posts of PA's telling those searching for jobs to look rural.  Two of the three were satellite clinics 30-45 min, on back roads, from any semi major establishment like Walmart or Home Depot.

IF PA's do not support a title change that doesn't include physician or assistant, and do not support more independence, then I guess they don't deserve a future because they are stuck in the past.  Medicine evolves and changes, technology evolves and changes.  It still boggles my mind how so many PA's, enough to stop or seriously hamper progress, are so ignorant to changes occurring. 

This This This This......and THIS!