Did you forget to renew your NCCPA certification?

• Administrator

Presented as I received it, no editorializing, although I note that to the best of my knowledge NCCPA hasn't reached out to us to help spread the word:

A Message from AAPA CEO, Lisa Gables.

All –

I wanted to let you know that NCCPA informed me last Friday that despite their continued efforts to contact participants, approximately 4,000 PAs who participated in the pilot program had not logged their required CME and/or paid their required fee.  The original deadline was 12/31/20, however they extended it to 3/31/21.

In an effort to assist NCCPA, via social media and a hero ad on our website, AAPA has encouraged our PA members to complete this process immediately.  We are also reaching out to various of our engaged leadership groups to assist with this communication effort.

I would encourage you to reach out to your networks as well.  Please note that there is an “exception to policy” if someone is having difficulties and cannot complete their CME or pay their fee.  There is a form to complete for this exception (see message below).

This is a critical problem, as these PAs are in danger of losing their certification.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Lisa Gables (lgables@aapa.org) 

yea I have seen this all over the place now. How do you participate in the pilot and 1) forget to pay your dues and log your hours and 2) how does the NCCPA not have confirmed contact info on these folks?

There is going to be some wailing and teeth gnashing if these people fall through the cracks

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

yea I have seen this all over the place now. How do you participate in the pilot and 1) forget to pay your dues and log your hours and 2) how does the NCCPA not have confirmed contact info on these folks?

There is going to be some wailing and teeth gnashing if these people fall through the cracks

Yeah, I don't know either.  That's a LOT of people to say "screw it" and ragequ... err, retire spontaneously.  I don't expect any major proportion to be dead or in ICUs due to Covid-19, but a few might be.

I just got an email from them saying my cert expires March 31st, literally tomorrow. Luckily for me, it doesn’t expire until December 31st...

I haven’t heard anything from them in months. Considering IF my cert expired tomorrow, that’s pretty poor communication.

Edited by ANESMCR

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cideous said:

I'm not gonna lie, after reading this I went and checked one more time LOL.  Good through 12/21....

Oh, I did too. I suspect most everyone did, even if they'd just logged on last week to add CME and not gotten any notification to correct any outstanding issues...

Post started popping up in different forums last night about people's certs being listed as lapsed when they weren't. Phone calls to the NCCPA either went unanswered or people were told it was a "glitch". This was told to someone whose hospital suspended her privileges after her cert was incorrectly annotated.

So once again... we have an organization with unfettered power over our profession who uses our money to travel the country touting the value of a valueless test AND a "glitch" is costing people their ability to practice. No follow up yet on how long it will be before this little bump in the road gets fixed.

One of my board members told me she thought this whole 4000 PAs thing stunk somehow. Really..what are the odds 4000 people didn't pay their fees or log their CMEs and they were all in the pilot program? Turns out it really did stink and the stink is a catastrophic failure on the part of the NCCPA.

My suggestion to everyone affected is..sue them. It is the only influence any of may ever have over their conduct. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Post started popping up in different forums last night about people's certs being listed as lapsed when they weren't. Phone calls to the NCCPA either went unanswered or people were told it was a "glitch". This was told to someone whose hospital suspended her privileges after her cert was incorrectly annotated.

This happened to me this week. Luckily my privileges weren’t suspended. They emailed me the NIGHT before my ‘supposed’ cert lapse with zero prior communication.  

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I am freaking out. I logged in my cme credits months and months ago and on March 31st two days my certification for nccpa expired and forgot to pay the late fees now they’re making me take the PANRE?? I’ve only been practice for two years. Has anyone been in this situation and are they understanding?

Edited by PA562

I don't know if others were in this boat. I started the pilot two years ago. At that time (2018) I paid my dues and submitted my full CME. But it takes 2 years to complete the exam, which I did in December. When I got a notice I had passed, in the back of my mind, I was thinking I was set until 2022. But understand I was quite distracted by the fact I'm not working right now and was focused on staying alive. However, I went to the NCCPA web site in Feb, and realized that I owed fees for 2020 AND needed 100 hrs of CME. I rushed and finished the CME in about three weeks and hastily paid the fees. So, if this is true about the 4,000, I think others "had the feeling" they were okay because they got a notice in December they had passed the test AND remembered submitting their fees and CME when they started the exam. But that was two years ago!

I just feel like a huge idiot . I had 146 total cmes .. I did all of that. And I got a notice in my Clutter box the week before to recertify. LIke thats so risky ..why send that a week before knowing how busy we are with things. the california PA BOARD sent me notification months before hand to prepare. I just feel so stupid. ugh i can't believe it.

Theres a post that says For December 31 if your certification expiration you will be granted one- month extension. I hope that could be applied now, but i guess they gave a 3 month extesnion? i Never even knew this. WHy would they do this to you? like wth.  make you take the PANRE all over again? after only 2 years? thats such a scam to me. imma call them monday to see. I literally had my father whos 82 get pushed down at the park and fractured his c3 due to a hate crime. its like ...no way am i thinking well let me make sure my nccpa cert isn't expired. and it goes to clutter mail like why? 

2 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Call them. Expect nothing. That is likely what you will get.

Wow is that how the nccpa works ? 

I work in California I know we don’t technically need the certification nationally, do you know if it has any affect the sp relations? I work in a private practice in derm . 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:04 AM, PA562 said:

I work in California I know we don’t technically need the certification nationally, do you know if it has any affect the sp relations? I work in a private practice in derm . 

•  
  • Hi, did you get your situation rectified? I never received any correspondence from NCCPA until the day after my certification expired! I filed an exception to policy for an error in communication but I’m worried how long this is going to take. 

On 4/3/2021 at 9:04 AM, PA562 said:

The NCCPA has our profession by the throat. Financed with our money they travel the country and promote the value of the "Certified PA". There is no outside control or influence. Their board is elected by their board. They do what they want when they want. 

When they screw up your life they will eventually get around to doing something. There's just no telling how much damage will be done before they do

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, PA562 said:

I just feel like a huge idiot . I had 146 total cmes .. I did all of that. And I got a notice in my Clutter box the week before to recertify. LIke thats so risky ..why send that a week before knowing how busy we are with things. the california PA BOARD sent me notification months before hand to prepare. I just feel so stupid. ugh i can't believe it.

Theres a post that says For December 31 if your certification expiration you will be granted one- month extension. I hope that could be applied now, but i guess they gave a 3 month extesnion? i Never even knew this. WHy would they do this to you? like wth.  make you take the PANRE all over again? after only 2 years? thats such a scam to me. imma call them monday to see. I literally had my father whos 82 get pushed down at the park and fractured his c3 due to a hate crime. its like ...no way am i thinking well let me make sure my nccpa cert isn't expired. and it goes to clutter mail like why? 

What did you find the answer was to this? I just discovered I did the same thing. All cme is logged... I think it would be absurd to take the panre 

On 4/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, Jayzeem83 said:

•  
  • Hi, did you get your situation rectified? I never received any correspondence from NCCPA until the day after my certification expired! I filed an exception to policy for an error in communication but I’m worried how long this is going to take. 

Did either of you get your situation fixed? I’m in the same boat- I thought I’d pay a late fee! Not take the panre... 

• 4 weeks later...

I am freaking out as well and found this thread and thought someone may post some insight as to what they may have found out. I have been practicing for 2.5 years and just received a letter (to my old address that I had updated with them, ugh) stating my national verification had expired. I’m licensed in the state of California where I practice through 2022 but wasn’t notified of the expiration of my national cert until a week ago when the deadline had already passed!!!! I was finally able to log on to my NCCPA account and it’s saying I have the option to either filing a grievance or taking the PANRE. How does retaking the PANRE after I took the PANCE only 3 years ago make sense for a test that should be good for 10 years???? I am filing the grievance but wanted to know if anyone else had luck that could share some insight. Thanks so much. 

• Sad 1

Just offer them some money. Let's end the pretense and cut to the real deal.

It is hard to parse what happened but if you have been practicing for 2.5 years that means at 2 years you had to have submitted your CME and paid your logging fees. While they should have updated your contact info, at the end of the day, you are responsible for keeping up with your stuff.

I hope you get it worked out.

It seems most of the 4000 people who supposedly participated in the pilot program and were pending loss of certification were a computer error. That is just a guess because, after the initial panic and news blasts everywhere, the NCCPA went radio silent

On 5/13/2021 at 11:32 PM, courtneyPA said:

I am freaking out as well and found this thread and thought someone may post some insight as to what they may have found out. I have been practicing for 2.5 years and just received a letter (to my old address that I had updated with them, ugh) stating my national verification had expired. I’m licensed in the state of California where I practice through 2022 but wasn’t notified of the expiration of my national cert until a week ago when the deadline had already passed!!!! I was finally able to log on to my NCCPA account and it’s saying I have the option to either filing a grievance or taking the PANRE. How does retaking the PANRE after I took the PANCE only 3 years ago make sense for a test that should be good for 10 years???? I am filing the grievance but wanted to know if anyone else had luck that could share some insight. Thanks so much. 

I don't know why there is this odd 2 year expiration for something which is supposed to be good for 10 years. I can't see any good reason for this to exist and it's definitely not well advertised. This is yet another reason why we need to disband the NCCPA.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

I don't know why there is this odd 2 year expiration for something which is supposed to be good for 10 years. I can't see any good reason for this to exist and it's definitely not well advertised. This is yet another reason why we need to disband the NCCPA.

The two years was for the duration of the pilot program.  That is, rather than a pass/fail test on one day, you did the exam over 8 quarters, and thus needed to be recertified for UP TO the duration of that program in order to, you know, keep practicing medicine.  I am a big non-fan of the NCCPA for a lot of different reasons, but that one actually made sense to me.