Advice on how I look "on paper"

Hey everyone,

I applied this past cycle and got one interview and ended up being put on the wait-list and not getting in. I wanted to just get some general feedback about how I come off "on paper" so I can better understand what to work on.

Overall science GPA: 3.00

Overall non-science GPA: 3.27

Overall GPA: 3.08

HCE: 260 hours

Leadership: 4,700 hours 

PCE: 1,746 hours

Shadowing: 66 hours

Some background information: My undergrad was in Exercise Science and my GPA was terrible. I got a Masters in Public Health, and re-took many higher level science classes as a non-degree student to even get my GPA to that point (GPA for my masters degree was a 3.93). My PCE is from being an EMT, physical therapy aide, nursing assistant, and athletic trainer. 

Would it be best to focus on more shadowing and PCE, or are there other aspects of my application that need fixing? Also, getting more shadowing hours has been extremely difficult this past year because of COVID-19. I have taken so many courses that taking additional ones barely affects my GPA. Thanks so much in advance. 

Edited by Aastha11

2 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Are you saying that your science average -- even after your masters -- is 3.0? If so, that remains an area to be worked on, perhaps by taking some challenging, PA school-relevant, science classes and doing well with them.

Yup my average is that after my Masters, and after taking/retaking Orgo, Biochem, Microbio, A&P, etc. I definitely can work on other science classes I didn’t do well in but unfortunately I’ve taken so many classes that my average barely changes any time I do (despite me getting an A in them). Thanks so much for your feedback!

3 minutes ago, Aastha11 said:

Yup my average is that after my Masters, and after taking/retaking Orgo, Biochem, Microbio, A&P, etc. I definitely can work on other science classes I didn’t do well in but unfortunately I’ve taken so many classes that my average barely changes any time I do (despite me getting an A in them). Thanks so much for your feedback!

I would consider taking patho if you haven't and doing really well as it is the closest course to PA school in my opinion. Otherwise some cell biology or similar upper level course. Also consider applying to programs that value the last x of your credits. I don't remember which ones those are, but there is probably a thread here somewhere.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1