Intubation Style

Hey folks!

Curious as to who is still doing direct laryngoscopy in the unit vs direct. Since I left being a medic years ago I let my direct skills lapse a fair amount, still get in practice time on manikins while teaching, but pretty much use a hyperangulated Glidescope while in house.

If you're using video, what are you using?

23 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

You are kidding, right?  you can use the glidescope without the rigid stylet.....

I know you can. I mean, I’ve done it, but it wasn’t smooth by any stretch. I haven’t missed a tube since 2011 except for when trying to intubate without a rigid on glide scope. Probably because I always trained with the rigid stylet for the hyperangulated both in anesthesia school and residency. It’s not lack of skill, since I’ve tubed 1500+. Just a lack of practice without the rigid I suppose. So until I get my rigid, I’ll stick with my fastest and most reliable method, and just fiberoptic the c collars. 

Only one study was done on the subject and the standard styler took on average 8 seconds longer and failed twice, requiring rigid stylet rescue. If I’m going to go so far as to say “every intubation desires VL” then we might as well say every hyperangulated blade deserves a rigid stylet.

personally I would prefer a standard Mac blade VL so that way you can practice both skills every time.

glidescope-1215-p389-397.pdf?sfvrsn=66d4

• Like 1

We use the CMAC in my department.  I want to like it but no matter how often I use it I feel a disconnect between looking at the monitor and placing the tube.  Oddly enough, I didn't feel that same disconnect when using a Glidescope.  Our anesthesia guys use the Glide Scope but won't let us touch them.  At the same time they won't touch our CMACs.  I've played with a McGrath and like the feel likely due to muscle memory as it's pretty similar to DL.  I've never used the McGrath on a real patient, though.

I don't think I've used DL for an intubation in a few years.