Stats applying to class of 2015

Hey everyone. Hope your application process is going well! I had a question regarding NU's stats for applying this year. I have this long winded response i wrote in another thread about where im at.....please bare me, sorry its long!

I find myself in an interesting case where I have a solid gpa (3.67 science, 3.71 overall, 3.84 major, and 4.0 postbac), solid HCE through school and professionally (1260 hours as an athletic training student, and well over 1500 as a certified athletic trainer), and solid references that I would bet my life on having detailed positive statements about me. My issue is the GRE. I understand every program is different but I don't believe a 292 and 290 on 2 separate times taking the exams would help me. The thing is I have done well in math and English in undergrad ( had As in every class) but I don't feel it fairly demonstrates my ability to problem solve as an ATC.....I diagnose and treat orthopedic injuries which requires critical thinking. I go through all the steps in evaluation and rehabilitative action for that athlete or patient. I don't see how taking a standardized test truly brings out this knowledge within me. I can do the work in class for sure, but to recollect math theroms and etc. from 3 years ago isn't fair in my opinion. I'm retaking the exam of course, I just wanted to ask how I could defend myself assuming my GRE scores are still not up to par. Should I emphasize this more within my CASPA personal statement? It frustrates me that the GRE is weighted a good portion of the decision. Thanks for your time.

I prob wouldnt say all this if I have done well, but worst case scenario do I have a decent chance?

• 2 months later...

I recently visited a couple of PA programs and they have stated that the GRE is a requirement to rule out applications rather than a major consideration. I studied like crazy for that test, and was disappointed that the GRE is not weighed as heavy. I am not too sure how NU weighs the GRE, but if you are above the 50th percentile in all areas, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It seems to me that most people understand that the GRE is NOT a good predictor of your success in graduate school. I have even been told this by people on admissions boards... stay hopeful and good luck to you.

I just sent in my application, so hope to hear back soon.

I'm totally with you when it comes to the GRE. I didn't do well on my SATs, yet had no problem getting an undergraduate degree. With the exception of the writing portion, I didn't do well on the GRE either. I took it several times and got pretty much the same score. The bottom line is that I don't perform well on standardized tests. I spoke with the Director of the Northwestern PA Program about this very issue. The admission requirements make it sound like GRE scores are weighed heavily in the decision but according to the Director, it's the least important out of all the requirements. In other words, don't let low scores discourage you. Because Northwestern utilizes problem based learning (PBL), they are looking for a cohort of people that can each bring something unique to the table and get along well with others. It kind of reminds me of sorority or fraternity rush. Many of us that have applied have the qualifications and even beyond, but it comes down to the right "fit". The bottom line is that programs turn down perfect GPA's and super high GRE scores all the time. That's the type of school you want to go to anyway because those schools care about more than what you look like on paper. Keep your chin up and go for it! You have just as good a shot as any! Good luck!!

-Elizabeth

Archived