Hi,

Looking for anyone with knowledge on occupational therapy and that field of work!

I am currently struggling pick a focus for how to pursue my master's degree. I originally planned on becoming a PA, but have been very discouraged as to amount of PCE hours and gap year(s) I'd have to take in order to do so. I am considering switching my global public health major to OT, and begin an accelerated program to get my masters at my current university. This is a big commitment and I can't change my mind as the process would begin this fall. 

Is OT a dying field? I've heard it's becoming similar to PT in the sense jobs are hard to come by, and sometimes the pay isn't worth the debt. 

It at the moment seems much better than PA to me, but I don't want to get stuck on a pathway I can't get out of. 

Any advice helps,

Thanks. 

I’m a little confused about your major switching-you have to apply to OT school similar to PA school, but your current school has an accelerated OT program your are thinking of changing into?

OT and PT does have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. They are usually found working in the same settings, but with different emphasizes and skill sets.

I don’t think it is a dying field nor that jobs are more difficult to come by-COVID has hit all the medical fields this past year though. With any medical profession, one can always find a job if you are willing to move and/or work possibly in a setting/place that is not your first choice. But the great thing about the medical fields are that you can work in a setting and wait and watch for an opening for your dream job.

As to debt vs  salary, I have heard this could be an issue with both OT and PT. I’m sure there are some financial reports out there that can give you more specifics on this topic.

2 hours ago, Janie55 said:

I’m a little confused about your major switching-you have to apply to OT school similar to PA school, but your current school has an accelerated OT program your are thinking of changing into?

OT and PT does have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. They are usually found working in the same settings, but with different emphasizes and skill sets.

I don’t think it is a dying field nor that jobs are more difficult to come by-COVID has hit all the medical fields this past year though. With any medical profession, one can always find a job if you are willing to move and/or work possibly in a setting/place that is not your first choice. But the great thing about the medical fields are that you can work in a setting and wait and watch for an opening for your dream job.

As to debt vs  salary, I have heard this could be an issue with both OT and PT. I’m sure there are some financial reports out there that can give you more specifics on this topic.

So my university has an OT masters program that if I commit to, I will begin junior year of my undergrad with the OT specific courses. I have to make this decision as I either will begin the OT route, or stay in my current major (Public Health) and continue to get the pre reqs needed for PA, then apply to PA school once I graduate. 

This is impossible to answer. OT vs PA are very different. Do you want to practice medicine or do you want to practice physical therapy/OT? Sounds like you need to shadow a PA and an OT for a couple weeks minimum. 

Edited by ANESMCR
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Guest mohmay
      By Guest mohmay
      Hello,
      To summarize, I'm a hopeful Pre-PA student who has unfortunately messed up quite a lot during my Undergraduate years and ended with a cGPA of 3.02 (my school offers grade-forgiveness), and a scGPA that I didn't even bother trying to calculate given that it would obviously be under a 3.0. This was due to personal arrogance in thinking I could handle such a rigorous courseload while also working and thus not taking it as seriously as I should. Thankfully, I was accepted into a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program and am enrolled currently in hopes of taking more advanced upper-level science courses to curb a low Undergrad GPA. As of now, my Graduate GPA is a 3.33 (and the pandemic has unfortunately made everyone's personal life very difficult in trying to focus on these heavy courses remotely and am expecting my GPA to take a dip). At this point, I am strongly de-motivated and feel that I may be wasting tuition on a degree that may not even benefit me in achieving my goal in becoming a PA. I have approximately 2,648 hours worth of medical scribing experience (2,124 working as an ED scribe in a level 1 trauma center and currently 524 as a Hospitalist Medicine Scribe) and about 831 hours of volunteer work at my local hospital's Emergency Department. I'm writing this in hopes of gaining some advice moving forward and truly appreciate any input anyone can give.
      -Thanks.
    • By Bananataters
      Hey Everyone,
      I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm looking for some advice.  My current stats are:
      cGPA - 2.96
      sGPA - 3.16 
      Last 50 Credits - 3.84 
      PCE - 4000+ Hrs 
      My AnP 1 and 2 grades are both B- from undergrad, when I didn't know what I was doing with my life. I'm wondering if I should point my energy towards retaking these two courses for A's or should I pursue a Master's program? 

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it. 
    • By HollywoodHorse
      I’m a recent December graduate with a bachelors in biology and 22. My GPA is 3.38 and my science is about 3.2. I know I want to do something in medicine, but i’m exploring all my options as my recent attempt at MD/DO programs was unsuccessful. My mcat was 495 which I know is not quite competitive. I recently discovered PA and am wondering if this could be a better fit and if I have a better chance in getting into a PA program? I’m also accepted into a masters program in biomedical sciences so I could improvemy gpa for md/do schools, but am wondering if I would need it going the pa route? Finally, i’m consideringtaking a year or more off to gain healthcare experience, such as amedical scribe job i’m applying for and wondering if this would be good for the PA route and what programs acceptmedical scribe jobs as experience.Thank you for any help and advice as i’m a struggling graduate trying to explore all my options.
    • By BeachBum753
      Is it possible to transfer from one PA school to another? I completed the didactic portion (1 year) but my grades are really suffering from their disorganization and putting my academic status in jeopardy.  Will any credits transfer or would I have to start from scratch? Please provide suggestions for well-organized, well-structured PA programs, especially ones that will accept transfers
      Reasons for leaving:
      -In my program there are too many changes and restructuring going on within the program. The program director and 7 instructors resigned within weeks of each other. (I heard the school is having money issues but we haven't been given a real reason. Everyone has been politically correct with their reasons for leaving.) 
      - Several classes had multiple teachers cover one class to pick up the slack from the teachers who left. The lectures were super disorganized.  No one bothered to take responsibility and review exams before giving it to us. More than 10 times exams were given without being reviewed- (Material was (1) not covered and supposed to be on a future exam, (2) test questions from the old professor but the material was not covered by our current professor (3) poorly written questions.  The class as a whole did so bad on one exam, that we had 18 points given back!  Another example,  the proctor gave us an incorrect test- we waited 45 mins before they told us they couldn't get it straightened out and the correct test was given a week later. Another test not enough time was allotted. We had 20 mins to answer 16 questions using an algorithm where we had to enter information into a website. It was impossible to enter the data that fast. So many students did poorly that we were offered extra credit (which never happens). The extra credit was super lengthy and only allowed for 3 points back.  (I would have earned a 100 on the first exam if the proper time was allotted, but ended up with a 75 after getting partial extra credit. (Apparently the same thing happened the previous year and they didn't bother to correct the time issue)
      -They tried implementing an IBL (independent based learning) but did not plan the cases through. We also had to do many modules to supplement our knowledge. We were told that the post-test would be based on the modules but the post-test exam had nothing to do with them!  It was a complete mess and hurt our grades. Many students complained enough to the point were they removed it completely (we had 6 IBL's left).  IBL's were a week long and only counted for 2% of our grade.  Why were we spending so much time on something that was not worth much of our grade? My class expressed that it was not preparing us for the PANCE and did not want to be guinea pigs for this project. 
      -The program is being moved from the Podiatry school to the nursing school because the podiatry school might be having issues with accreditation. I am not sure how this affects anything but it seems to be a big deal. 
      -In our didactic manual, it says the program offers tutors. The first semester I got a tutor but 2-3 exams had passed before I could get help. It took them a while to get someone set up.  The second semester they said we shouldn't need tutors and did not get one. The 3rd semester, I asked for a tutor for 2 classes only for my final exams and was told no tutors were in place. 
      PA school is expected to be hard but this kind of disorganization doesn't make it any easier.  It doesn't feel like they are preparing for the PANCE exam. Worst of all it is putting my academic status in the program in jeopardy and there is really no place to turn for help. I feel like I would thrive in another program that is better organized. 
      I appreciate any suggestions or advice that is offered. 

• By cgrapids
      I'd like to thank you all in advance for your thoughtful comments.  I have been reading this forum, and I decided it was time for me to make a profile and ask for your honest advice:

I am an occupational therapist (very fresh grad), I am in my 30s, and I am happy practicing as an OT for the next 2-3 years to get experience under my belt.  I have observed PAs working with patients during my clinicals and at work, and I am drawn to the work they do, especially conditions and diagnosis.  

I have a 3.7 in my OT program, and in my last 60 of undergraduate my GPA was around a 3.8.  My GPA prior to the last 60 was ABYSMAL, but I went back to school buckled down, and I think my record shows that.  When I bucked down I was a very committed student; I have great references from my OT program, and I hope I can also have good references from my employers if I decide to go for a PA degree. 

I am a little disappointed in myself that I got a lot of B's in classes which don't matter enough for an OT (General Bio, Biochemistry).  My grades fall along these lines:

1. Non science prereqs:  English 101 Comp 101, 102 - A, All psychology courses A's
      2. Gross Anatomy: A, Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Biochemistry B's in both.  Microbiology A
      3. Research Methods, and Statistics A's.  I still need to take inorganic chemistry, and two physiology courses.  

I am considering applying to Wayne State University, and Cuyahoga Community College's program (I'm a cuyahoga county resident born and raised). 

I am unmarried without kids and I have a high degree of flexibility to go anywhere in the country.  I plan on working as an OT for a few years, because I think that work will buttress my application.  I may end up retaking A&P, and Biochem if I need to.  

Do any of you know schools which only consider the last 60 credit hours of your undergraduate record?  I know that my graduate degree in OT will not "count" in GPA calculations for nearly all programs. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More