Kean University 2020-2021

Guest mohmay
On 5/13/2021 at 12:07 PM, Sf295 said:

Did anyone apply without a biochemistry lab component? 

So I asked and they told me they would accept an Organic Chemistry Lab in lieu of a Biochem with lab. But you do need to take a Biochem course (Organic Chem was a prereq for Biochem at my Undergrad). I would double check with the faculty first though. 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 8:27 PM, NewPAS said:

Interviewed last Wednesday and received a conditional acceptance today! I need to take biochem over the summer (will be doing so at UCC summer session I)

Can’t wait to meet you fellow classmates!

Congrats!! Do you remember the questions they asked during the interview?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:47 PM, mohmay said:

Hi all,

Busy times, sorry about the delay. So thankfully I interviewed and was "conditionally accepted" !!! 😁

Conditions being that I submit a final transcript from my prior school (I currently go to Rutgers). I did also notice that they delayed their application deadline until June 15th, so there's plenty of time for those who wanna apply. I'm really happy that I made it this far. But I'm free to answer any questions about my credentials and healthcare experience. Best of luck to everyone else who's applying. 😀

Congrats!! What were some of the questions they asked during the interview??

Guest mohmay
4 hours ago, zk101 said:

I think it may be different for each applicant, but do expect questions like "Tell us about yourself and why (or how) you came to the decision to become a PA?" and also "Why Kean's program in particular?" I also was asked if I applied to other schools, and if you have a lower-end GPA, do expect them to ask about past academic failures and how you fixed it up. Hope this helps! 🙂 

4 hours ago, zk101 said:

I was so nervous I forget exactly what they asked me but the first question was “tell us a little bit about yourself.” “What is your greatest weakness”

I forget how they worded it but they also asked me if I had any concerns about my abilities if I were offered admission in the fall. 
“If not offered admission this cycle what would you do?” 
“do you have a specialty in mind in which you would like to work as a PA?”

I hope this helps! 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, mohmay said:

I think it may be different for each applicant, but do expect questions like "Tell us about yourself and why (or how) you came to the decision to become a PA?" and also "Why Kean's program in particular?" I also was asked if I applied to other schools, and if you have a lower-end GPA, do expect them to ask about past academic failures and how you fixed it up. Hope this helps! 🙂 

Yep, They also asked me if I’ve applied to other programs! 
They offered you an interview bc they were interested in you and they want to accept a student they would be proud to work with in the future. I think this advice really helped me and also I watched a bunch of mock interviews on YouTube to prepare. 

Edited by NewPAS

1 hour ago, NewPAS said:

The biggest interview advice I received from a PA I work with, was to “treat the interview like a conversation. They offered you an interview bc they were interested in you and they want to accept a student they would be proud to work with in the future. So be interesting and show your personality.” I think this advice really helped me and also I watched a bunch of mock interviews on YouTube to prepare. 

Just remembered other questions they asked me, “tell us something we won’t find in your application or personal statement” and “how do you manage stress?”

Thank you everyone for all the help, how was the interview structured? Is it one interviewer or a few faculty members that will conduct the interview?

6 hours ago, Schan said:

Hey so the interview is with the entire PA committee, don’t remember exactly but it was about 5 people. Pretty much everyone on the Kean PA website. 

Do they all ask questions or is it just one person asking the questions? Also, how long was your interview??

Edited by zk101

Guest mohmay
19 hours ago, NewPAS said:

The biggest interview advice I received from a PA I work with, was to “treat the interview like a conversation. They offered you an interview bc they were interested in you and they want to accept a student they would be proud to work with in the future. So be interesting and show your personality.” I think this advice really helped me and also I watched a bunch of mock interviews on YouTube to prepare. 

Just remembered other questions they asked me, “tell us something we won’t find in your application or personal statement” and “how do you manage stress?”

Yeah, they asked me similar questions too! Showing your true personality is the best advice to be honest (we had a few laughs during our interview, so I think it definitely factored into their decision. Lol). Looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates in the Fall! 🙂 

Guest mohmay
5 hours ago, zk101 said:

Do they all ask questions or is it just one person asking the questions? Also, how long was your interview??

Each interviewer will usually rotate with asking questions. My interview in total was about 25-40 minutes (with a 15 minute writing prompt at the start before meeting the adcoms). Best of luck with everything! 🙂 

@zk101 I had a 3 people in my interview. First 15 mins was a prompt and the rest of the interview was about 35-40 minutes ish?  But don’t worry about the time. Just be yourself, make sure you actually answer the question they ask and be genuine and honest! Best of luck to you!  🙂

9 hours ago, JJAY2019 said:

Does anyone know If you have to come in before September 1st? 
Or is orientation the week of September 1st?

had my interview last week 😊! hoping to find out next week

I don’t think they’ve given details in regards to this yet? On the acceptance email it gives you instructions to pay your deposit and that’s it really.. 

Has anyone else heard anything?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, NewPAS said:

@zk101 I had a 3 people in my interview. First 15 mins was a prompt and the rest of the interview was about 35-40 minutes ish?  But don’t worry about the time. Just be yourself, make sure you actually answer the question they ask and be genuine and honest! Best of luck to you!  🙂

On 5/27/2021 at 6:40 PM, mohmay said:

Each interviewer will usually rotate with asking questions. My interview in total was about 25-40 minutes (with a 15 minute writing prompt at the start before meeting the adcoms). Best of luck with everything! 🙂 

How was the writing prompt? 

Did they ask any tricky or abstract questions?

Guest mohmay
2 hours ago, las257 said:

How was the writing prompt? 

Did they ask any tricky or abstract questions?

The question they asked me was " How does the phrase 'knowing your limitations' apply to the PA profession?" I'm not sure if they asked other people something else or something similar. But it's really meant to just kinda assess how you can right on the fly. They asked me for around 500 words minimum. Hope this helps!

Guest mohmay
16 hours ago, Alylove said:

Has anyone else been accepted to other programs besides Kean? 

So far waitlisted, but already committed to Kean (I live in NJ, so it's much more convenient for me).