New EM Postgrad Training Program in Washington State!

Hello everyone!

We are excited to introduce a new EM Postgrad Training Program in Washington State, primarily based in Tacoma.  Written below is some basic information on our program, and attached is a more detailed PDF.  Please enquire for further information!  

Program Description
Washington Emergency Care Physicians (WECP) is excited to announce the Pacific Northwest’s first emergency medicine post graduate program for advance practice providers (APPs). The Program is specifically designed for those who are interested in a life-long career in emergency medicine with primary training sites in the Puget Sound through Tacoma Emergency Care Physicians (TECP) and with an advanced training option in the Inland Northwest through Spokane Emergency Care Physicians (SECP). First class to start in October 2021.

Curriculum 

-15 month program duration with over 3000 hours of clinical and didactic training 

-2 classes per year (Oct 1st start with 2 candidates, and April 1st start with 2 candidates)

Compensation and Benefits
-Total stipend - $70,500

-Reimbursement for licensing, certification, credentialing fees

-Medical and dental benefits, short term disability, PTO

How to Apply

1. Submit most current Curriculum Vitae with photo of yourself
2. Submit personal statement explaining why you are applying to the program along with your long-term professional goals
3. Send three (3) letters of recommendation to the Program Director – to be sent directly from the authors of the letters
4. Invitations to interview and visit may be extended upon review of your completed application.  In-person interviews are preferred but virtual interview option is available.
5. Acceptance decisions will be typically made within 2-3 weeks of interview/visit.

6. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis
7. Application deadline: May 1
st for Fall class, November 1st for Spring class

Submission and Contact Information:

Jaime Delcampo, MD, FACEP

Program Director

** UPDATED EMAIL ADDRESS: jaime.delcampo@wecphealth.org

(253) 254.5536

UPDATED FAQ PGAPPInformational.pdf

Edited by WashingtonEmergencyCare
update
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2021 at 8:40 PM, EMEDPA said:

Sounds great! Info on off-service rotations? Electives? U/s training? Anesthesia training? 

Program website? I have lots of EM students who will be interested in this.

Thanks!

Thank you for the interest!  We hope to have multiple non-ED rotations available with the first class though the specifics of which rotations remain in development.  Prospective rotations are still being evaluated with the simple but important goal that the experience and training on the rotation are high yield for an APP intending to practice emergency medicine.  While some rotations will present limitations due to the disruptions form Covid-19, we are currently exploring non-ED rotations in Trauma, Pediatric EM, Critical care (ICU), Hospital Medicine, OB, Ophthalmology, and Anesthesia.

We also hope to provide substantial training in ultrasound for diagnostic evaluations and also for assistance in emergency procedures.  The program has 3 US fellowship trained ED physicians that are eager and excited to provide this training to our postgraduate candidates.  

• Like 3

On 3/28/2021 at 6:04 PM, WashingtonEmergencyCare said:

We also hope to provide substantial training in ultrasound for diagnostic evaluations and also for assistance in emergency procedures.  The program has 3 US fellowship trained ED physicians that are eager and excited to provide this training to our postgraduate candidates.  

Do you anticipate that the students would be placing central lines and chest tubes, performing paracentesis and thoracentesis, doing LPs, etc? 

• Upvote 1

To clarify, the assistance part of that comment was relating to using ultrasound to assist in the emergency procedures, I didn't mean it to come across that the trainees would be assisting the attendings with their procedures.  I am one of the lead PAs that works for this group and will be helping with the post grad training program, and I do these procedures so I can attest to this.  I'm sure the trainees will be able to get experience placing central lines, paracentesis, LPs, and intubations.  We have a dedicated trauma service so while in the ED they probably won't have much experience placing chest tubes, but we are working on developing a trauma rotation that should be able to offer this experience.  Keep the questions coming!

Edited by WashingtonEmergencyCare
update
  • Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, rev ronin said:

Is there any intent to coordinate with a DMSc program?

Do you plan graduates to be EM-CAQ eligible?

The program was designed at a minimum to meet the EM CAQ requirements and allow graduates to sit for the exam at the end of the program.

As of now, I don't believe the program director has looked into coordinating with DMSc programs.  Could you explain further what kind of coordination you are referring to?  When I went through an EM PA residency program several years back, none of the programs I applied to had mentioned anything about that.  

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, WashingtonEmergencyCare said:

As of now, I don't believe the program director has looked into coordinating with DMSc programs.  Could you explain further what kind of coordination you are referring to?  When I went through an EM PA residency program several years back, none of the programs I applied to had mentioned anything about that.  

There are a number of completely online/virtual DMSc programs which have their own defined coursework, and then hours for clinical practice and associated research leading to a capstone project.  It would essentially be work on top of the fellowship, but I understand that some other EM Residency programs do both at the same time in a coordinated fashion, leading to both a DMSc and an EM-CAQ if appropriate mastery is demonstrated.

22 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

There are a number of completely online/virtual DMSc programs which have their own defined coursework, and then hours for clinical practice and associated research leading to a capstone project.  It would essentially be work on top of the fellowship, but I understand that some other EM Residency programs do both at the same time in a coordinated fashion, leading to both a DMSc and an EM-CAQ if appropriate mastery is demonstrated.

Yes, Arrowhead has such an affiliation with the DMSc at Lynchburg, so grads are residency trained with doctoral credentials and CAQ eligibility.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, WashingtonEmergencyCare said:

Hello everyone!

We are excited to introduce a new EM Postgrad Training Program in Washington State, primarily based in Tacoma.  Written below is some basic information on our program, and attached is a more detailed PDF.  Please enquire for further information!  

Program Description
Washington Emergency Care Physicians (WECP) is excited to announce the Pacific Northwest’s first emergency medicine post graduate program for advance practice providers (APPs). The Program is specifically designed for those who are interested in a life-long career in emergency medicine with primary training sites in the Puget Sound through Tacoma Emergency Care Physicians (TECP) and with an advanced training option in the Inland Northwest through Spokane Emergency Care Physicians (SECP). First class to start in October 2021.

Curriculum 

-15 month program duration with over 3000 hours of clinical and didactic training 

-2 classes per year (Oct 1st start with 2 candidates, and April 1st start with 2 candidates)

Compensation and Benefits
-Total stipend - $70,500

-Reimbursement for licensing, certification, credentialing fees

-Medical and dental benefits, short term disability, PTO

How to Apply

1. Submit most current Curriculum Vitae with photo of yourself
2. Submit personal statement explaining why you are applying to the program along with your long-term professional goals
3. Send three (3) letters of recommendation to the Program Director – to be sent directly from the authors of the letters
4. Invitations to interview and visit may be extended upon review of your completed application.  In-person interviews are preferred but virtual interview option is available.
5. Acceptance decisions will be typically made within 2-3 weeks of interview/visit.

6. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis
7. Application deadline: May 1
st for Fall class, November 1st for Spring class

PGAPP Informational.pdf 226.22 kB · 44 downloads

Hello! I do not see the PDF available currently and also cannot find any information when I google this residency! I'm very interested and wondering if this still exists. Thank you

1 hour ago, Kline208 said:

Hello! I do not see the PDF available currently and also cannot find any information when I google this residency! I'm very interested and wondering if this still exists. Thank you

You won't find anything online because this is a new program and we don't have a website yet.  The PDF is still there - its labelled "PGAPP Informational" at the bottom of the first post.  I've also updated the included text in the post to include the direct info for who to submit to.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 1 month later...

Great question - sorry about the delay in replying (newborn at home!).  Dr Delcampo will be able to further clarify, but my understanding is that there will be 3 tiers or levels and each one will have different roles and responsibilities.  At first they may be paired with the group PAs who will staff the trainees' patients, then the physicians, then more autonomous towards the end of the program.  This is not a traditional academic institution with other EM physician residents - this program is hosted by our group which is an independent physician owned group.  Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 9:36 PM, WashingtonEmergencyCare said:

To clarify, the assistance part of that comment was relating to using ultrasound to assist in the emergency procedures, I didn't mean it to come across that the students would be assisting the attendings with their procedures.  I am one of the lead PAs that works for this group and will be helping with the post grad training program, and I do these procedures so I can attest to this.  I'm sure the students will be able to get experience placing central lines, paracentesis, LPs, and intubations.  We have a dedicated trauma service so while in the ED they probably won't have much experience placing chest tubes, but we are working on developing a trauma rotation that should be able to offer this experience.  Keep the questions coming!

Any further info on the off-service rotations? You mentioned trauma. How about anesthesia, ICU, etc?

The program director has the most up to date information as this is a work in progress.  The last I heard, we have agreements to develop rotations with trauma, ICU, hospital medicine, peds ED, and ophthalmology, but since Tacoma General isn't a typical teaching institution, it's going to take some time to get all of the details ironed out and they may not all be ready to go for the first class.  We're being up front with the interviewees about this as the early classes will need to be more flexible than usual.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
10 hours ago, prepastudent123 said:

Hi! Is there any updated information on this program?

Hello!  The program is up and running.  We have our first two trainees who have been with us since the fall, and our next two start in the spring.  We are still working on a program website.  Any other information you were looking to find out about?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WashingtonEmergencyCare said:

Hello!  The program is up and running.  We have our first two trainees who have been with us since the fall, and our next two start in the spring.  We are still working on a program website.  Any other information you were looking to find out about?

Awesome! I assume the information in the pdf is still accurate for the application process. Is there any requirements for who the LORs are from? (such as program director, ED preceptor, etc.)

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 11:54 AM, prepastudent123 said:

Awesome! I assume the information in the pdf is still accurate for the application process. Is there any requirements for who the LORs are from? (such as program director, ED preceptor, etc.)

Sorry I'm not sure how I missed this - yes the information in the PDF is still accurate.  There aren't any requirements for LORs.  Look forward to seeing your application if you decide to apply!

• Upvote 1

Hello all!  Just wanted to give a quick update that our group recently had an email update so if you saved our program's email address before, please update it to this:

Interested in applying --> email the program director Dr Jaime Delcampo at jaime.delcampo@wecphealth.org 

And as always, feel free to post questions here and I'll answer whatever you'd like!