Future of the profession poll for PA-S

Future of the profession poll for PA-S  

28 members have voted

1. 1. As a current PA-S do you advocate for the push for independent practice? (i.e. practicing without a supervising physician requirement)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As a current PA-S do you agree with the need for a name change?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. As a current PA-S are you satisfied with the change to Medical Care Practitioner (MCP)?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, TheFatMan said:

Re Q1: I don't think PAs should have "independent practice" straight out of school. There should be additional criteria that need to be met. Not sure if the two concepts should be differentiated on that question.

The question itself is just generic, not neccasarily exploring every caveat and possibility.

• Upvote 1

Utah just passed a bill for "sort of" independence after 10,000Hours (5 years) of professional PA work.  That is not new grad.  Colorado just failed a bill which would have required around 7,500-8,000hours (4years) as PA. Don't think any state has recommended independence for new grad.  That is unless you are an NP, because their fairy godmother must somehow magically make them learn in 500 hours what it takes a PA (in Utah), 12,000 hours, counting clinical year, and a physician similar hours, but more education. It still makes getting a job tough on new grad PA's, but better for patients who don't get stuck with NP. 

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

How's that poll working out? Even I'm surprised at the overwhelming favorability, though small sample. 

Well I had posted it in the professional forum as well to increase sample size. But apparently it was deleted. Not sure why. I think it’s an easy way to get an understanding of where people are at and how they feel

Edited by roundabout