12 hours ago, davidr14 said:

Idk how to process this  so I am posting on here. We lost one teenager, and almost lost four other high school football players. They got ambushed during football practice. Emergency medicine can be hard at times. Philadelphia will teach you a lot. But this, it is difficult to cope with. The violence here is out of control. 

I trained in Philly in the 90s and was a medic there while in PA school. It was bad then too. Temple ER had an entire year 24/7/365 with at least 1 gsw in the ED at all times....

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I am done January 12, 2023 and boy has time flown by. 

I was intimidated at first and scared. 

I am now still afraid, but in a different way. Still so much to learn. 

My new focus is critical care and toxicology. 

Time to leave Philadelphia and find a new home. 

Residency is insane. The hours are brutal. 

I would do it again. Worth every second. 

Best experience of my medical career. 

To the ER PA-C who I worked with in Covington, WA during PA school. Thank you for inspiring me. You completed this residency before me, and your style of practice and confidence in your decision making pushed me to pursue a higher level of training. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I still remember the name on your white coat. You probably have no clue you were the main reason why I applied to the residency in Philadelphia. TECP is lucky to have you. 

Cheers! 

Edited by davidr14
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 5:34 PM, davidr14 said:

Update

I am done January 12, 2023 and boy has time flown by. 

I was intimidated at first and scared. 

I am now still afraid, but in a different way. Still so much to learn. 

My new focus is critical care and toxicology. 

Time to leave Philadelphia and find a new home. 

Residency is insane. The hours are brutal. 

I would do it again. Worth every second. 

Best experience of my medical career. 

To the ER PA-C who I worked with in Covington, WA during PA school. Thank you for inspiring me. You completed this residency before me, and your style of practice and confidence in your decision making pushed me to pursue a higher level of training. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I still remember the name on your white coat. You probably have no clue you were the main reason why I applied to the residency in Philadelphia. TECP is lucky to have you. 

Cheers! 

Thank you for sharing your journey. I’m headed to MEDEX in 2023 so this was really inspiring. Best of luck in whatever comes next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time to enjoy some time off. Just worked my last ED shift. 

One week of lab week and simulations, and I am officially done. 

I probably could have written more, but I was just too exhausted most of the time. 

I have accepted a position in Charlotte, NC. And yes, this residency does allow you to negotiate for a higher salary. And yes you will have multiple offers to choose from. 

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. 

Peace!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Quick update: 

Post-residency life is much better. 

The attendings love a PA with extensive residency training and love to talk EBM. 

We have physician lounges with free food, lol. 

I was able to negotiate my salary and benefits package. 

I am now a month in, and loving it. 

Metrics do matter, and the bonuses are nice. 

Registered for the CAQ-EM and some US and airway courses. 

Looking to advance as an educator as well. Currently preparing some talks on AFIB management, and DKA vs AKA management.  

Enjoying the acuity and still learning on an everyday basis. 

Also, will moonlight here and there to pay off the loans quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Quick update for you all: 

I have been living a good life and am happy. 

it’s nice to only work 15 shifts a month. 

the bonuses every 3 months are great. I am up for a raise. I am now a preceptor for two PA programs as well. Currently working on developing a PA education curriculum. Will do monthly M&M. Love teaching and seeing high acuity. 

Again, residency has paid off more than I can imagine. 

Side note: just took the CAQ-EM today. Not sure who developed the test but they must not be in EM. Just felt like a slightly more advanced version of the PANCE. Residency ITE was much more difficult. 

As, always feel free to reach out to me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, you were one of the original test takers lol! 

It was definitely weird. Didn’t feel too challenging and I didn’t really prepare. Some questions were so basic I was wondering if I was taking the correct test. Other questions were just poorly written. 

Not sure how they grade the exam or what a passing score is. Lol

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, everyone. 

I believe in transparency and discussing salary after residency. 

I am at 163k base and with bonuses turns out to be 183k. Cost of living is great where I live. 

Plus stipends for taking students which I am not counting. Contracted for $1500 per student. 4-6 students per year. 

looking to become financially independent, publish a few projects, continue trading, and invest in real estate. 

what is everyone else doing? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, davidr14 said:

Ok, everyone. 

I believe in transparency and discussing salary after residency. 

I am at 163k base and with bonuses turns out to be 183k. Cost of living is great where I live. 

Plus stipends for taking students which I am not counting. Contracted for $1500 per student. 4-6 students per year. 

looking to become financially independent, publish a few projects, continue trading, and invest in real estate. 

what is everyone else doing? 

Strong work. Excited to start residency shortly.

50 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Are you salary or hourly?

I'm @ $95/hour at one of my primary sites and $100/hour at my other.  Straight hourly.  No residency.  10 years EM.  Recovering paramedic.

EM since 1987. Also former paramedic. EMPA since 96.  No residency(there were none when I graduated. I would have done one). 3 jobs, all hourly.

133/hr, 115/hr, 85/hr. Also do some teaching 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, davidr14 said:

All right guys, just another little update.

Just received my exam results for the CAQ EM exam.

I passed. Call it is true. Indeed, they don’t give you a score. It just has passed. No real significant feedback. I received my score within six weeks.

huh, when I took it there was some feedback on questions missed. And if you added up the # of feedback suggestions you had a good idea of the score, assuming each one is a question missed.

The other bummer with the CAQ is the only # on it is your nccpa cert #. I was hoping for an actual #. I took it the first day it was ever offered in 2011 so a single digit cert # or even one under a hundred would be pretty cool. It does say "Inaugural exam" on it, which is nice. 

EmedPA CAQ Cert #007  🙂

I am pretty sure I have Sempa Senior fellow certificate #1. I was on the board when we approved the status and applied the first day. Of course, it doesn't have a # either, but it has a date.