Struggling to decide between two very different offers

Hello! I'm a PA student graduating in less than 2 months and I am having a great deal of difficulty deciding between two offers.

1) Men's health clinic: Runs primarily on TRT therapy but they are hoping to transition to more primary care as well. Offer is 116k/four days a week as an independent contractor. Malpractice, CME etc included, however a $400/month stipend to find my own health insurance. Plan is to work for about 1 year with mentor then transition to running a clinic on my own. They have offered to do profit sharing once I start running the new clinic. They seem like solid guys and have been open to most things I've brought up.  Seems like it may have a high ceiling earnings wise as it's basically concierge medicine.

2) Cardiology. Clinic and inpatient, no call. 17 days worked out of 28 with one weekend. 100k/yr but full benefits and a 5k signing bonus. Well respected practice and they give a good balance of responsibilities to their PAs. I did a rotation with them which I enjoyed.  This one is more straightforward, I don't have to do the IC thing, but also less flexible. 

I greatly appreciate any thoughts and input!

Edit: This is in Oregon

Edited by KenL282

Absolutely take the cardiology offer. Those TRT clinics are sketchy at best, and it's not really evidence based medicine. If you're lucky it'll be mostly pills and injections for erectile dysfunction. Worst case scenario is "treating" normal 50+ year olds and weight lifters with extra testosterone and messing with their own production. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah then you give 'em a big fat MI and the guys in Cardiology who offered you a job will see your name on the chart and laugh at you.

Ok. The last bit was more to be funny but take the cards job day in/day out/every day. Total package is way better, your learning and experience will be better and more transferrable if you ever leave.

I'd hire someone with Cardiology background. Testosterone clinic? Doubt it.

• Like 1