Emergency Medicine Rotation

Did anyone study some type of resource in advance for their ER rotation during clinical year? If so, what book/resource did you use? I have it as my first rotation and I am extremely interested in doing ER in the future so I definitely want to impress. Any tips would be great!

EM:RAP (not cheap but includes everything you would need and more - plus there is primary care content for that rotation)

Tintinelli's or Rosen's

CanadiEM podcast (their older podcasts did a chapter by chapter review of Rosen's)

First10EM

Rebel EM

EMBasic podcast is wonderful

Did I say EM:RAP?

Life In The Fast Lane liftl.com

EMCrit (although I'd say this is mostly critical care and not so much EM, still good though)

I just found out Cook County in Chicago has a blog which is nice http://cookcountyem.com/blog

The Center for Medical Education has some really good EM review lectures

Essentials of EM YouTube Channel not as good but some good stuff there too

Edited by TheFatMan
  • Like 4

The Case Files book series helped me out a bit.  Remember that not everything you see is going to be high speed stuff like LITFL/EMCrit covers.

Canadiem's Rosen's chapter by chapter review is great.  ALIEM is good, RebelEM is +/- (my opinion).

@EMEDPA probably has some great advice as he precepts in the ED!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By tally17
      Was hoping to get some opinions on an offer before I accept, this is my first contract as a new grad!
      Position is a fellowship located in New York, level III trauma center seeing 70K patients a year. First 12 months a physician will always also see your patients, with review to determine if you can begin seeing level 4/5 independently for the last 6 months. Not the greatest area but that means a very diverse patient population. There is NO residency program, so the PA fellows have first dibs at procedures and other opportunities if they want to learn them. Lead PA has been there 10+ years which tells me something, and says PAs get a very high level of autonomy in this ED with great physician support. 
      18 month contract (can sever with 120 days' notice)
      Full time hourly at $40.95/hr (+$5/hr night differential). 36 hours/week at 12-hour shifts rotating between observation, fast track and main ED. 5 hours/week didactic education. Opportunities to pick up additional shifts at 1.5x base. (Based on scheduling preferences/OT, anywhere between 88-100K/year)
      Full medical/dental/vision/disability benefits (Was told you don't get benefits summary until after you sign, is this standard? I find this strange and need to clarify)
      401K match (need to obtain details)
      Malpractice + tail
      Full reimbursement for license/DEA
      $1,500 CME allowance/year
      NO PTO except as required by state law (was told they work with your requests and are able to schedule you early one week/late next to gain 7-8 days off for vacation though)
      5K completion bonus at end of term, additional 5K retention bonus if you accept a position there at the end of the fellowship
      ACLS, ATLS, PALS, emergency ultrasound and emergency airway training provided
      Seems like a great opportunity as a fellowship to get my foot in the door of EM (have spent 5 months applying for EM positions in various states across the country with no bites, and I've been an EMT 8 years). Thanks in advance! 
    • By hipsnap21
      Hi everyone, I received my first offer today after applying for what feels like a million jobs. The position is in emergency medicine. It's a hospital I worked in prior to PA school. They are offering me the following: 
      $60/hour with a guarantee of 120 hours per month (equals out to $86,400 annually) 120 hours PTO annually and 40 hours long term sick annually. Malpractice and tail insurance as well as CME credits through the company's online learning institute.  Benefits: medical, eye, dental and 401K with up to 3% match after a year of employment No reimbursement for licensing, DEA, or CME allowance as they provide CME credits through their online learning institute. I'm satisfied with the hourly rate, it's pretty on par with what I see in the AAPA salary report for NY new grads, but my question is - is this a good offer? The annual salary is quite low compared to the salary report for EM positions, but I believe that's due to the low number of monthly hours. I've asked for a signon bonus and I've asked to be guaranteed 140 hours per month as that raises my salary considerably, but I'm looking for opinions as I'm new at this and want to make sure I don't take the first offer I get just out of excitement to be offered a job.

Thanks in advance!!
    • By SEMPA
      Join us as Anand "Swami" Swaminathan, MD reviews what works (and what doesn't work) against COVID-19.
      Feb 18, 2021; 3:00 pm CST
      https://www.sempa.org/education/sempa-live/

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More