NHSC SCHOLARSHIP 2021-2022

On 8/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, biopsyd said:

I was able to view and sign my contract. It'll show you when you submit your documents. 

For those of you who say you signed the contract, was it an electronic signature or a physical signature? I submitted my application, but was unable to actually sign my name. I wasn't given the option. I filled everything I could and assumed it was an electronic signature, but now I'm worried I messed up somewhere. 

Was I the only one who had this happen?

7 hours ago, Angelino said:

For those of you who say you signed the contract, was it an electronic signature or a physical signature? I submitted my application, but was unable to actually sign my name. I wasn't given the option. I filled everything I could and assumed it was an electronic signature, but now I'm worried I messed up somewhere. 

when you view your completed contract at the very end it should say electronically signed by you.

10 hours ago, Angelino said:

it is an e-sign. and once everything is submitted it should read: accepted award - under final review. 

On 8/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, Tua43244 said:

Congratulations to everyone! 

I am also weighing whether to take the scholarship if offered based on stories I’ve seen on Reddit and other places. Does anyone know if I say I will accept if that is a commitment? I also want to read the contract and since it hasn’t been offered officially, I’m assuming this isn’t binding. I’m still leaning toward it, I am just wary of the unknowns. 

Mostly, I am concerned about the job placement process and it seems like it is hard to get much definitive information on it. I’m concerned about the unknowns and locking myself in. I don’t have a particular place I want to work but I do want to be within a certain geographic area. I wouldn’t mind a commute, but I have family members that I need to take into consideration. Leaving them for 2 years just isn’t a privilege I have. Does anyone have any insight on the job placement process in the DE, eastern PA, NJ area? 

Additionally, does anyone have any information on what the salary usually is for these 2 years compared to what a typical 1st year practicing PA salary is? I want to work in underserved areas, but I have to make sure the math works out especially since I had a good deal of school debt from before PA school. I haven’t found much information/numbers about this but the stories I have seen allude to this being a potential issue in their regret.

Just wanted to follow up that I decided to sign the contract after speaking with 3 students who just graduated from my program who were all very happy that they took the scholarship.

They weren't really able to allay the fears of being places somewhere I did not want to be, but they pointed out that there are plenty of sites there which even qualified for their higher score site requirement (and fingers crossed they won't shoot it back up too much for us). One of them was offered a job in 2 places I would be fine with working at. It is still a risk, but I came to the conclusions that the money is just too much to say no to.

Second, they all confirmed that their salaries were in like with a first year PA in primary care (so there isn't really a salary loss unless you were planning to go into a higher paying subspecialty).

They also told me that the job search was stressful, but not any more stressful than some of their friends/classmates.

Overall, after sitting with it for a few days and speaking with my family about worst case scenarios, I decided it was a risk worth taking. Hopefully, it won't end up that way, but at least I won't have as much debt. I think it will be a great foundation to build my career as a PA on no matter where I end up, and the nice thing about being a PA is that I'm not locked into primary care if I absolutely hate it. Then I will be applying to jobs with at least some experience in the real world.

Congrats to everyone again! 

Edited by Tua43244
  • Like 8

Just now, helliott said:

Those that did accept the award, after submitting are you able to view/open the documents you submitted from the application home page? Mine gives me an error when I try to view both documents...

I didn’t have that problem, however, a friend of mine who did said she had to open in another browser. She tried Safari and it worked for her then. I had no problem on chrome.

So for those of you that have tuition due before the scholarship pays the school--what is your game plan?  I have a huge bill due on September 9, but I understand that the scholarship pays the school at the end of September (if I'm not mistaken?)   

I'm personally going to call my call my program/financial office and see what they say....

On 8/17/2021 at 4:41 PM, ryry310 said:

So for those of you that have tuition due before the scholarship pays the school--what is your game plan?  I have a huge bill due on September 9, but I understand that the scholarship pays the school at the end of September (if I'm not mistaken?)   

I'm personally going to call my call my program/financial office and see what they say....

I called the NHSC to clarify this right before I sent in my paper work. As long as you supply an itemized invoice from your financial aid department at your institution they will cover the summer/fall tuition as long as everything applies (like start dates, type of loan, etc).

On 8/20/2021 at 10:50 AM, multiculturalmarylander said:

Just speculation here, but do you anticipate that maybe we'll be hearing back this coming week?

So, it looks like in previous years its ranged anywhere from the day of maintenance (2018) to 2.5 weeks after (2020). Hoping for sooner rather than later, of course! I did notice that initially the maintenance was scheduled for thurs and fri night and was changed Thursday morning to this whole weekend. Not to read into that too far, but to wake up to an email on Monday morning would be awesome. I also noticed in other forums, emails were sent at really random times in past years. I'd been checking 9am-5pm ET, but people got emails at 8pm and 3am last year so who knows. Regardless, best of luck to everyone! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tua43244 said:

My contract was also countersigned today at 8 AM by Jamie King.

I did not receive an e-mail. I saw the post above so I signed into the portal and downloaded the contact. On the last page I saw the record of the signature underneath mine from this morning.

Same here, didn’t get an email. So idk the next steps, but just been signing into the portal every day and checking hahaah 

42 minutes ago, Quiqui said:

Anyone know if they countersign in waves? Application reads still under final review

Mine still says under final review as well, but if you download the contract it’ll say it was countersigned at the bottom. I’m assuming counter signature applicants will get an email with next steps