NHSC SCHOLARSHIP 2021-2022

Congrats everyone who received the finalist email! From my understanding of reading through past year's discussions on the NHSC scholarship on this forum and others, I believe being a finalist pretty much means you'll be provided a contract to sign - essentially you're in! I haven't seen any posts where someone was alerted they were a finalist and didn't get it, but of course they say it's not guaranteed yet. I was lucky to receive the finalist email as well! I'll need to see the full contract, but is there anyone on here still weighing on whether to sign/take the scholarship, if offered? I've read some stories/posts from recipients that regretted taking NHSC funds so just trying to think this through carefully and thoughtfully...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MEJ97 said:

I am also a finalist! When filling out the education verification form, I noticed that they ask you to attach "last semester's transcript." Does anyone know if this still applies to students who have yet to begin their programs?

I'm wondering the same thing, too. I won't have my unofficial transcripts by the 14th for this summer semester (finals week is happening now)!

3 hours ago, JessicaPortlandOR said:

Congrats everyone who received the finalist email! From my understanding of reading through past year's discussions on the NHSC scholarship on this forum and others, I believe being a finalist pretty much means you'll be provided a contract to sign - essentially you're in! I haven't seen any posts where someone was alerted they were a finalist and didn't get it, but of course they say it's not guaranteed yet. I was lucky to receive the finalist email as well! I'll need to see the full contract, but is there anyone on here still weighing on whether to sign/take the scholarship, if offered? I've read some stories/posts from recipients that regretted taking NHSC funds so just trying to think this through carefully and thoughtfully...

Congratulations to everyone! 

I am also weighing whether to take the scholarship if offered based on stories I’ve seen on Reddit and other places. Does anyone know if I say I will accept if that is a commitment? I also want to read the contract and since it hasn’t been offered officially, I’m assuming this isn’t binding. I’m still leaning toward it, I am just wary of the unknowns. 

Mostly, I am concerned about the job placement process and it seems like it is hard to get much definitive information on it. I’m concerned about the unknowns and locking myself in. I don’t have a particular place I want to work but I do want to be within a certain geographic area. I wouldn’t mind a commute, but I have family members that I need to take into consideration. Leaving them for 2 years just isn’t a privilege I have. Does anyone have any insight on the job placement process in the DE, eastern PA, NJ area? 

Additionally, does anyone have any information on what the salary usually is for these 2 years compared to what a typical 1st year practicing PA salary is? I want to work in underserved areas, but I have to make sure the math works out especially since I had a good deal of school debt from before PA school. I haven’t found much information/numbers about this but the stories I have seen allude to this being a potential issue in their regret.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JessicaPortlandOR said:

Once I turned in all of the documentation it gave me the option to sign the contract. After signing, my status went to "Accepted Award - Under Final Review". Looks like once you sign that portion it may be binding once countersigned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tua43244 said:

I am also weighing whether to take the scholarship if offered based on stories I’ve seen on Reddit and other places. Does anyone know if I say I will accept if that is a commitment? I also want to read the contract and since it hasn’t been offered officially, I’m assuming this isn’t binding. I’m still leaning toward it, I am just wary of the unknowns. 

Mostly, I am concerned about the job placement process and it seems like it is hard to get much definitive information on it. I’m concerned about the unknowns and locking myself in. I don’t have a particular place I want to work but I do want to be within a certain geographic area. I wouldn’t mind a commute, but I have family members that I need to take into consideration. Leaving them for 2 years just isn’t a privilege I have. Does anyone have any insight on the job placement process in the DE, eastern PA, NJ area? 

Additionally, does anyone have any information on what the salary usually is for these 2 years compared to what a typical 1st year practicing PA salary is? I want to work in underserved areas, but I have to make sure the math works out especially since I had a good deal of school debt from before PA school. I haven’t found much information/numbers about this but the stories I have seen allude to this being a potential issue in their regret.

These are pretty much all the same concerns I have too. I'm going to try and do some more digging and research tonight - happy to message you with anything useful i might find. Please feel free to do the same!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JessicaPortlandOR said:

I was able to view and sign my contract. It'll show you when you submit your documents. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tua43244 said:

I attended a webinar for a NHSC PA that was in his service phase. You basically get regular pay for primary care whatever that may be, which is dependent on the location/region you work in. If I remember correctly, he started at around $70-80K salary. So essentially, you'd get the same pay as a non-NHSC PA new grad is what I got out of it. 

23 minutes ago, Lmals said:

Has anyone seen discussions of how long it normally takes for finalists to hear back once they've signed and submitted their forms? I know it says by September 30th but I'm crossing my fingers we may hear back earlier.

It appears from last year’s thread that most people heard back between mid September- September 21st but they also got their first round of finalist email later than us. So I’m hoping we hear back some time during the first week of September...! Congrats to everyone that got the finalist email and for those who didn’t, don’t get discouraged there’s still hope as they do multiple rounds of finalist emails.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JessicaPortlandOR said:

These are pretty much all the same concerns I have too. I'm going to try and do some more digging and research tonight - happy to message you with anything useful i might find. Please feel free to do the same!

Can you send me anything useful you might find as well please! I am also a finalist- really did not think I would get it when applying and now trying to decide if I really want it... I worry largely about location (though my state, NC, has many underserved areas and populations) and whether I will be able to handle it as a new grad (how much help can my overseeing physician really give me/will I just be "thrown to the wolves"). I really can't decide and we have virtually no time! Would also just be happy to chat  with someone in the same boat 🙂

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, morgand said:

Can you send me anything useful you might find as well please! I am also a finalist- really did not think I would get it when applying and now trying to decide if I really want it... I worry largely about location (though my state, NC, has many underserved areas and populations) and whether I will be able to handle it as a new grad (how much help can my overseeing physician really give me/will I just be "thrown to the wolves"). I really can't decide and we have virtually no time! Would also just be happy to chat  with someone in the same boat 🙂

One thing I found useful in thinking through this is seeing that they lowered the required site scores significantly for PAs graduating in 2022 from 20 to 14 (poss due to the pandemic?) -- that opens up A LOT more options for work sites. you can look up areas you're interested in and check out the site scores here: https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area/hpsa-find. If there was a guarantee that the score would stay the same for 2023 I would feel great about signing on. However, it seems they reassess this each year and post the required scores in the spring (ie ~ May 2022 for class of 2023) so if it jumps back up to 20, well that is much more limiting. Something to consider!

(from the nhsc website):

What are HPSA score requirements by class year?

NHSC-approved sites must meet the HPSA score requirements* by class year (CY):

Discipline CY 2022 CY 2021 CY 2020 CY 2019 CY 2018
Primary Care (Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), & Nurse Practitioner (NP) 20 20 19 18 17
Physician Assistant (PA) 14 20 19 18 17
Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) 10 18 16 18 17
Dentists (DDS & DMD) 20 20 19 18 17
Psychiatric (MD & DO) 20 20 21 18 17

UPDATE: I actually just called the cust service line to ask if there was any insight on whether the HPSA scores would change notably for CY 2023 or if we could anticipate on it staying around 14. They said there's absolutely no way to know right now and they won't post until next year. Pretty much what i figured but worth a try!

Edited by JessicaPortlandOR
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, multiculturalmarylander said:

I'm wondering the same thing, too. I won't have my unofficial transcripts by the 14th for this summer semester (finals week is happening now)!

Hi! So I spoke to customer service today at the NHSC two times to clarify because I ran into this problem too. I am done with my semester but grades aren’t released until next week. They said to just attach your most recent transcript (mine were my undergrad ones), and then just make a little note under it where they ask for the attached transcript. This was kind of a headache but apparently it’s not an uncommon thing to happen!

7 hours ago, missjessthepa said:

Does anyone know if student health insurance is covered by the scholarship? I see it is under the list of eligible fees if required by the school. My school is requiring health insurance so am I correct that the scholarship will cover it? 

I think so. Amount depends on what school estimates. 

17 hours ago, ryry310 said:

Anyone know if my on-campus graduate housing cost (room & board) is covered under 'reasonable educational costs?'  It is already tacked onto my tuition bill for the semester. 

I think it is part of the stipend. You can use the stipend however you choose (there is no other on campus housing paid by NHSC). 

4 hours ago, ryry310 said:

The stipend will be just shy of 1500 per month.  Can any1 get confirmation on whether health insurance thru the school is covered?

In the application program guidance it says health insurance is covered if it's required by the school for all students! (which I believe most schools do) It also says it's covered "for the scholar only" so I don't know how that would affect you if you have other family members covered by the insurance