NHSC SCHOLARSHIP 2021-2022

Does anyone know if the NHSC are flexible with the cut off date/time? I had a LOR writer lined up and reminded her several times and even this past weekend, I asked if she could still do it and she said yes. 2 hours before the cut off time, it was not there and then I had to find a backup ASAP. We ended up getting the letter in time literally 2 minutes before the cut off time but now I realized that I don't think I ever clicked submit the application to submit it with the LOR.

Now my previous LOR writer reached out with the letter and is sorry that she missed the cut off time. I'd much prefer her letter instead of my quick hasty back up letter. Has anyone been in this experience? Will they still let me submit with the hasty back up? Or even better yet, will they let me submit the original LOR?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, HandyManny said:

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know when you are notified of the scholarship award? I saw the scholarship award deadline was September 30th so does that mean that is when we are notified if accepted?

From former classmates that received this scholarship, it was mid-September when they received their notice. This timing may also have been affected by the pandemic, though.

Hey Y'all! I am a current NHSC scholar, I received the scholarship last September of 2020. I am a PA student about to start my clinical/last year of PA school! I would be happy to answer any questions that you guys have. Feel free to message me or comment with me tagged on questions. Good luck guys! This scholarship really is the dream and so beyond worth it. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jminugh said:

Hey Y'all! I am a current NHSC scholar, I received the scholarship last September of 2020. I am a PA student about to start my clinical/last year of PA school! I would be happy to answer any questions that you guys have. Feel free to message me or comment with me tagged on questions. Good luck guys! This scholarship really is the dream and so beyond worth it. 

Here is some stats and dates to help y'all!

Undergrad: Bachelor of Science in Public Health|3.85

LOR: 1 from OBGYN/ 1 from undergrad Public Health Professor

Volunteering experience with children's shelter, underserved family medicine clinic internship, general pediatric volunteering

Essays focused a bunch on pediatrics/children from underserved communities

Did NOT have the disadvantaged background form

Dates:

08/10- Credit check through equifax "credco"/ some had this late July

08/19-First round finalist notifications sent out

08/25- Second round finalist notification (received)

09/19- Countersignature by Jamie King

*pretty much everyone who gets a finalist email is guaranteed to get the scholarship! There is always three rounds of finalist notifications sent out 1 week after each other. Do not give up hope if you aren't in that first round!

Edited by Jminugh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kore828 said:

Would this mean our application passed the initial review? Or are they going to pull from everyone's credit regardless. 

Based on the application handbook, this is part of the eligibility process. So they will check everyone to make sure they meet the credit history criteria. 

I believe they send out emails when you pass the initial review. 

I did notice they started credit checks earlier this year as opposed to last year. Good luck everyone! 

Edited by biopsyd

11 minutes ago, biopsyd said:

Based on the application handbook, this is part of the eligibility process. So they will check everyone to make sure they meet the credit history criteria. 

I believe they send out emails when you pass the initial review. 

Hmm...That’s interesting. However on the SDN forum from last year a few people did not get credit checks for a few application seasons and the season that they got a credit check was when they were also a finalist. On the flip side, some people get the credit check but don’t get the scholarship.

1 hour ago, LivPA said:

How was everyone notified? I have not be checked and neither has my friend. 

It wasn't through NHSC itself. It was through a secondary website like Credit Karma where you can see your credit report. I got a notification about a new inquiry and it was from NHSC/HRSA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biopsyd said:

It wasn't through NHSC itself. It was through a secondary website like Credit Karma where you can see your credit report. I got a notification about a new inquiry and it was from NHSC/HRSA. 

Ah interesting

I don’t have a credit karma account, but my discover is through Experian. I can call about that maybe?

2 hours ago, LivPA said:

Ah interesting

I don’t have a credit karma account, but my discover is through Experian. I can call about that maybe?

Discover would work for your Experian report, but I believe they update it monthly rather than up to date.

You can make free accounts at Credit Karma (Transunion & Equifax reports) and Experian (Experian report) for up to date reports. 🙂 

I have the Experian app and my credit was checked on 6/14 too. It says "NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA" for those wondering what it may look like. I'm surprised how early they checked credits this year. Last year a bunch of people who got the scholarship didn't have their credit checked until mid-August if I'm remembering right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tdaves21 said:

I have the Experian app and my credit was checked on 6/14 too. It says "NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA" for those wondering what it may look like. I'm surprised how early they checked credits this year. Last year a bunch of people who got the scholarship didn't have their credit checked until mid-August if I'm remembering right.

Thank you for this! I just made an account on the Experian app because the Discover app didn’t tell me anything, and the Experian app told me my credit was checked too!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WakadanPA said:

CreditWise (CapitalOne) sent me an alert this morning. Experian was checked on 06/15/2021 by "Nhsc Lrp/sp/hrsa". 

Looks like the credit checks may span a few days. Hoping this leads to becoming a finalist!

So there was another round of checks today? In the past there have only been two rounds of checks, so do you think after today there won’t be anymore?

45 minutes ago, Banana123 said:

So there was another round of checks today? In the past there have only been two rounds of checks, so do you think after today there won’t be anymore?

I'm not sure but knowing how much more money they have this year to spend I am guessing there are more "days", if you will, of credit checks than in previous years. I would be surprised if this was the only round of credit checks.

Also- capitalone may have just reported my check a day late. Who knows. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Banana123 said:

I feel like there will be another round, but it's hard to say when bc the timeline is off from previous years. This first round is earlier than usual. 

I'm also wondering if they will send out finalist emails like usual (2-3 weeks after credit check) or if it'll be closer to September.

• Upvote 1