NHSC SCHOLARSHIP 2021-2022

Congrats on everyone who received the scholarship for 2020-2021 !!! 

I will be matriculating at UCDAVIS PA Program starting June 28th. If we apply to the scholarship this month, will we know if we received it in a reasonable amount of time to determine if we need to take additional loans out for school payment? I was told by financial aid school had to be paid for by the first day of class. I know after applying for a student loans It takes a while to receive the award (3 weeks-month), and i wouldn’t want to not be able to attend school because It isn’t paid for yet. 

I can’t find much online about the 2021-2022 year or even when the application will open. I’m really praying to be able to get this scholarship. 

Any information is helpful. Thank you for your insight! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, khbryant said:

Are schools with start date of October 1st deemed ineligible? Or are they lenient with the class start deadline?

Not sure if there is someone you can ask, but seems they are pretty strict. I started working on the application and had to put my term start and end dates that fit their fiscal year dates so not sure if I need to re-adjust to that too. I want to make sure so I will investigate who to contact to be sure. If I find out, I will let you know!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently applying right now. Almost done. I just have to compete my three essays and I will be good to go. For those who already applied, does it matter who the LOR is coming from. I have someone I have never worked with but she knows my passion and how much I love to serve. I wander if I should ask her for LOR or ask my work supervisor whom I have only known for 4 months

On 4/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, Janileo said:

I am currently applying right now. Almost done. I just have to compete my three essays and I will be good to go. For those who already applied, does it matter who the LOR is coming from. I have someone I have never worked with but she knows my passion and how much I love to serve. I wander if I should ask her for LOR or ask my work supervisor whom I have only known for 4 months

does anyone know the chances of PAs getting this scholarship? over MD students for example?

• Upvote 1

Hey guys,

For the CV, it says to outline relevant work and volunteer experience. Is this all you guys are putting on your CV? 

I feel kind of weird putting together a CV without education, certifications/licenses, honors/awards, and other sections. I'm thinking of just adding these sections, but keeping them brief. & on the work/volunteer sections I plan to be more detailed/expand more. 

On 3/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, missjessthepa said:

Not sure if there is someone you can ask, but seems they are pretty strict. I started working on the application and had to put my term start and end dates that fit their fiscal year dates so not sure if I need to re-adjust to that too. I want to make sure so I will investigate who to contact to be sure. If I find out, I will let you know!

So I am still working on my application and am planning on attending a NHSC scholarship program Q & A session on Thursday May 6th, just to clarify any questions I still have. Here is the link I received via email if anyone wants to join! It will be from 9 am to 5 pm EST.

https://hrsa-gov.zoomgov.com/j/1602525045?pwd=NjZkRUZtQnRmak83T210MnIxVzFBQT09&utm_campaign=Reminder%3A+NHSC+Scholarship+Application+Q&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#success 

2 hours ago, khbryant said:

My Program begins in September and lasts 24 months. Since NHSC only allows the entered years to begin and end in the Summer, do I have to request three years of aid to be covered during the last few months of the second year?

That is what I want to find out during tomorrow's Q & A because my program is the same.... I will post on here what I find out from them. 

16 hours ago, missjessthepa said:

That is what I want to find out during tomorrow's Q & A because my program is the same.... I will post on here what I find out from them. 

I was just on the Q & A chat. I would suggest if anyone has questions to hop on, it is open until 5 pm ET. It is on the zoom link I posted and they are answering via chat.

I was told to use July 1st as all start dates and June 30th as all end dates. My program is 27 months, they told me to either chose 2 years or 3 years of coverage, whichever I choose is how long my service has to be. I am not sure if that answers your specific question khbryant... I just realized what you meant since your program is 24 months but does not match their start and end dates.

31 minutes ago, missjessthepa said:

I was just on the Q & A chat. I would suggest if anyone has questions to hop on, it is open until 5 pm ET. It is on the zoom link I posted and they are answering via chat.

I was told to use July 1st as all start dates and June 30th as all end dates. My program is 27 months, they told me to either chose 2 years or 3 years of coverage, whichever I choose is how long my service has to be. I am not sure if that answers your specific question khbryant... I just realized what you meant since your program is 24 months but does not match their start and end dates.

yeah i was just on too, they told me i'd have to request 3 years for additional support for the last 3 months. Im wondering if the tuition would be covered technically and I could just pay for living expenses out of pocket?

On 5/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, khbryant said:

yeah i was just on too, they told me i'd have to request 3 years for additional support for the last 3 months. Im wondering if the tuition would be covered technically and I could just pay for living expenses out of pocket?

Based on the Program Guidance PDF, you would not be covered for the fall semester (assuming you are starting in the fall). The tuition is covered for any coursework in progress during the supported years. I.e, if you start a semester in May, and the support stops June 30th, it would cover the tuition since it is currently being taken during that year. You would not get tuition support if semester starts mid July.

In my opinion, if you want flexibility, do not go for the third year. 3 months for a whole additional year of service seems not worth it to me.

Edited by Kore828

On 5/6/2021 at 7:38 AM, khbryant said:

Yea, I think based on the guidelines and what they kept saying in the chat is that your last 3 months will not be covered unless you choose 3 years of service. That sucks because a lot of programs start in the fall. 

My program is 27 months but ends in December, so I may just end up choosing 3 years of service for them to cover the extra 6 months. I may end up staying afterwards anyways. 

So my program is 24 months. The first year is from July 27th to July 15th. The second year is July 18th to July 14th. The scholarship only goes until June 30. Would they cover my entire tuition at this point still or would there be some money I would have to pay back? Or do I need to ask for a third year? Idk if the stipend is the thing that stops or the tuition. I care more about the tuition than the stipend if I don't get it for a month.

37 minutes ago, LivPA said:

So my program is 24 months. The first year is from July 27th to July 15th. The second year is July 18th to July 14th. The scholarship only goes until June 30. Would they cover my entire tuition at this point still or would there be some money I would have to pay back? Or do I need to ask for a third year? Idk if the stipend is the thing that stops or the tuition. I care more about the tuition than the stipend if I don't get it for a month.

I am in a similar situation, my program is 24 months as well. I believe that the tuition should be covered since courses begin before the end of coverage. The stipend will be cut off for that last month. My disparity is 3 months and I elected for two years of coverage. 

• Like 1

Just now, khbryant said:

I am in a similar situation, my program is 24 months as well. I believe that the tuition should be covered since courses begin before the end of coverage. The stipend will be cut off for that last month. My disparity is 3 months and I elected for two years of coverage. 

I do not know my exact start date for the second year, but I put an estimate. Did you put July 1 to be safe?