Anyone else worried?

Hello all. I guess I'm just looking for other people to validate my insecurities abou the application/interview process.:heheh:

I think my stats are pretty solid as far as GPA goes (3.98 going into senior year). I know that I still need to work on obtaining direct patient care being that I have almost zero. I was a combat lifesaver in the Iraq war, but I never had to use my first aid skills. Thank God. I don't really know if that counts. I think my GRE will be decent just due to my work ethic. The real worry for me is that I kind of (pretty much) feel like it's a crap-shoot with so many people applying for such a small amount of seats. I think I could be a strong applicant, but when 1200+ people are applying for 30 seats.... I don't know...

FYI: I will be applying for most of the schools in Texas.

Is anyone else worried that all their work could be overlooked? That you could pour out your heart and soul trying to get into the profession just to be denied in the interview process? How do you cope with the uncertainty? I'm (a little) stressed. (no really. I'm really stressed out.)

I think for the most part, we all feel the same way you do. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. For instance I have a lot of patient care experience, but an awful GRE score. For me I'm just trying to focus on doing my best and staying positive. Easier said than done. :smile: Good luck and try not to stress out too much. Once you get some solid patient care experience under your belt, you should be rock solid.

Haha I can totally agree to that.....I feel like a nervous wreck since I started my application. I finally submitted CASPA but have so much worry given the schools I'm applying too and my GRE scores. I'm retaking the exam for a third time. I know there are schools that don't require it but I live in Chicago and can't really move away anywhere just yet so my options are competitive ones. I was looking into the MCPHS program in Worchester as an option for January 2014.... but we will see.

I am feeling the exact same way: my CASPA application is now officially in the "mailed" status, and I have finished all of my supplemental applications, but this waiting game is killing me. I feel like I am a fairly competitive applicant, but I am really freaking out about the low acceptance rates. I applied to 14 schools, so hopefully someone somewhere will want me!!! The way I'm coping is just knowing that this is exactly what I want to do. If I don't get in this year, I will find out what will make me a more competitive applicant, take whatever steps are necessary, and just re-apply next year. I'm really hoping to NOT have to go that route though, so we shall see...GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

• 1 month later...

Yes I think everyone feels that way. Everyone is a different applicant. Just because you dont have something it seems a lot of others do doesn't mean you aren't a well qualified applicant. ADCOM's put classes together of all different types of people who will bounce off one another to create the best PA's possible. Stay confident. It is so easy to think of "I could have done thins" or " maybe this instead". Keep telling yourself the positive aspects you bring to the table. I know where you are I JUST got accepted and it was the biggest relief. I got into my first choice and I felt like how is this ever going to happen with only 40 seats out of 1,000+ apps. When you get interviews, the best advice I received was to just let my passion shine through for what I wanted so badly. You seem very passionate about wanting to be a PA so I say the same to you. Any questions message me I'm more than happy to help =)

• 2 months later...

Brianiac, are you from Texas? Which programs in Texas did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I know a few of the PA programs in Texas give preference to residents. I was only able to apply to UNTHSCU and barely missed the deadline but I realllyyy wanted to try this round. You have a perfect GPA and your background in the military is awesome. I would not worry at all if I were you!

I would try to gain as much health care experience as possible while you wait! And emphasize this in any supplemental applications or interviews. Good luck :)

Archived