First day on the job

Just wrapped up my first shift in the ED as a PA-C. Wow...that's all I can say!

It was all I thought it would be. I was scared to death going in, and on pins and needles the entire shift. I saw chronic back pain, cholelithiasis, cellulitis from an insect bite with a surprise 600 blood glucose thrown in for good measure, and a fx 5th MTP. I had my first drug seeker, too!

The nurses were great with clarifying my orders and communicating the patient complaints. I'm not at all used to the idea of giving orders; I'm going to have to get over that quickly. All in all it was a great first day. I am honored to be among the fold and excited about being in a nurturing teaching environment where I am treated like a clinician and able to do so much.

I remember my first day on the job . . . thirty years ago. I was scared to death. The thing I love, and it comes very, very gradually over years, is where natural intuition takes the place of memorization. Rather than following the "exam I learned" you start to feel and look for the things you know should be wrong in the condition you are evaluating. The thing that I hope you will be spared from, now 30 years later, is the political crap that we had to go through. I had nurses resigning when I was hired (refused to work in the same practice as a PA). I could on and on. So, enjoy. The first paycheck is a euphoric.

Just wrapped up my first shift in the ED as a PA-C. Wow...that's all I can say!

.... I had my first drug seeker, too! .....

I'm not sure where you are (ie. State wise) but maybe worth checking out to see if it's available where you are?

I found this out when I was a PA-S doing my rural ED rotation.....

They're maybe a state website that you can find a recent (1 yr) history of a patient's narcotic perscriptions!

Of course you have to register & prove who you are & you have a DEA.

I'd suggest asking around where you work. Next you can check with your State licensing or State PA association.

I found it very helpful, when you get that gut feeling! It's nice to have a check 'n' balance & find out you are correct!

Best of Luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yes browndog, so true.

I am getting a lot more comfortable each day, but the fear factor is still there. One part of the job that I struggle with, especially in a rural town where everyone knows everyone, is allowing the nursing staff to sway my clinical decision-making because they have a history with my patient. There have been a lot of close calls because I considered not calling in ultrasound late at night for that suspected gallbladder issue, or not getting the stone study on a known drug seeker who really looked like they were in pain. So yes, I realize more every day the huge amount of responsibility I have and how easy it is to miss things.

I'm glad, though, that I chose the ED! I was so close to taking a 9-5 transplant surgery position. The ED gives me the challenge I want, but also allows me to live my life and forget about work once I clock out.

Archived