New Grad Derm offer in Central Florida, please tell me your thoughts.....

Hello everyone, 

I am a new grad PA-C and this is my first interview and offer. This position would require I move to central Florida from South Florida. I am willing to relocate as finding a job here has proven VERY difficult especially during the pandemic and of course in Dermatology. Here are the details on the offer. There is no mention of malpractice insurance, bonuses or relocation assistance. Please if you notice something that should be inquired about feel free to leave a comment so that I may ask since all of this is new to me. I appreciate your help!

Full time dermatology PA: will be trained one on one with board certified dermatologist and staff

Schedule: 7:45am- 6:30pm, M-F, may include weekend, holiday and after hours although infrequent

Starting salary: $80,000

Salary after 3 months: $100,000

Salary after 12 months:$130,000

Salary after 18 months:$140,000

Benefits after 90 days:

PTO 15days/year includes sick days, CME days etc.

Paid holidays(new Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas day.

Health dental vision life and disability insurance valued up to $9000 per year employee contribution approximately 20% of health insurance premium

CME reimbursement: $2000 per year.

Benefits after one year of employment: 401(k) plan matching employer contribution of 4% earnings

Non-compete agreement of three years from the date of expiration of employment within 25 mile radius of employer( Im not to worried about due to the fact that if I were to relocated it would be back to South Florida.

Well. If you are working 11 hour days that's 2860 hours per year. That makes your first years hourly wage around $27.90.

After 18 months you'll be making $48/hr.

Check and see what local hospitals are hiring nurses at.

Addendum: PTO, CME, 401K all sound good, benefits seem on point although I can't speak to the health insurance. Just 11 hour days 5 days a week is a lot.

Edited by MediMike
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Arthropathy said:

That's a brutal schedule without a lot of holidays or vacation to make up for it. Could be doable for a year or two to get some experience, but it would be a hard pass for me since I have kids.

Thankfully I have no kids but I would be in a new city all alone. I've been applying to jobs here in South Florida for several months now and not even an interview as most want experience.

5 hours ago, Mayamom said:

Do the docs work those hours?  Is that all patient care hours or is there some time for charting, lab review, phone calls.  If not you won't be out at 6:30.  

I am not sure if the docs work those hours, but according to the contract the 11 hrs per shift "include administration" which I am assuming would be the charting, lab reviews, call backs etc. The office closes at 5 pm so I would only hope it wouldn't take longer than an hour to get all that done at the end of the day.  

14 hours ago, MediMike said:

Well. If you are working 11 hour days that's 2860 hours per year. That makes your first years hourly wage around $27.90.

After 18 months you'll be making $48/hr.

Check and see what local hospitals are hiring nurses at.

Addendum: PTO, CME, 401K all sound good, benefits seem on point although I can't speak to the health insurance. Just 11 hour days 5 days a week is a lot.

I'm hoping the shift would not require all 11 hrs as some of that time is included as "administration time" in the contract  and the office closes at 5pm everyday.

If money isn't a huge issue for you, and you cannot work in any other specialty, take it. With the pandemic, it is hard to find dermatology jobs. You could think of it as Derm residency for about a year- Long hours with very low pay. I know one of my friends worked free for 6 months after graduation in Derm.

Edited by futurepa588

On 3/9/2021 at 7:05 PM, futurepa588 said:

If money isn't a huge issue for you, and you cannot work in any other specialty, take it. With the pandemic, it is hard to find dermatology jobs. You could think of it as Derm residency for about a year- Long hours with very low pay. I know one of my friends worked free for 6 months after graduation in Derm.

Umm since when is working for free legal?