Background check & 10+ year old DUI

(EDIT: so this may actually belong to the Pre-PA discussion forum as I don't believe I've matriculated yet, I just received my acceptance recently...?)

So I was recently accepted into a PA program and will be doing a criminal background check in which they say to disclose any arrest, even if you don't know if it was official or not.

So 10+ years ago while in college I stupidly took 1 shot and drove my car and was pulled over by a cop who had to take me to jail overnight since my parents weren't available in the city I was in to take me home instead. Ever since then I have no criminal history (unless a traffic citation is considered one?) and I don't even drink lol

My question is, do yall remember how far back these background checks go, and what's the chances that when I disclose this info on the background check form that I will get my acceptance revoked? 

Edited by JAmueller

16 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I don't think there is a time limit on the background check unless it was scrubbed. I'm confused, why was it a DUI if you had one shot? Were you underage?

Yes, I was underage.

And, I believe the dui was expunged, but I also believe I'm supposed to still disclose it for my upcoming background check...

Edited by JAmueller

Yeah just include it.  They're not going to bounce you for that.  They're looking for items such as insurance/Medicare/Medicaid fraud/abuse, sexual predators, violent crimes etc.

I had a way worse DUI from my dumb years on my record and I got in. Better to go ahead and put it on there in case it shows up rather than have it show up and you didn't list it.

7 hours ago, MediMike said:

Yeah just include it.  They're not going to bounce you for that.  They're looking for items such as insurance/Medicare/Medicaid fraud/abuse, sexual predators, violent crimes etc.

I had a way worse DUI from my dumb years on my record and I got in. Better to go ahead and put it on there in case it shows up rather than have it show up and you didn't list it.

Ok cool that's what I was thinking so thanks for confirming it (of course we never know how my particular school thinks I guess). Glad you got in yourself!

• 1 year later...

Hey, any update on how this went? I am in the same boat, just got accepted to my dream school but have a DWAI from before I was 21 on my record (11 years ago) I know the state I live in does not allow expunging of DWAIs or DUIs. I don't have anything else on my record. The background check is through Castle Branch, I don't know if they look back over 7-10 years. Several of the schools I applied to ask upfront about misdemeanors and felonies so I disclosed my misdemeanor to them, but this school didn't ask. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, RWoods said:

Hey, any update on how this went? I am in the same boat, just got accepted to my dream school but have a DWAI from before I was 21 on my record (11 years ago) I know the state I live in does not allow expunging of DWAIs or DUIs. I don't have anything else on my record. The background check is through Castle Branch, I don't know if they look back over 7-10 years. Several of the schools I applied to ask upfront about misdemeanors and felonies so I disclosed my misdemeanor to them, but this school didn't ask. 

I applied with a misdemeanor DUI that didn't show up on my background check but I disclosed to any school that had a place to disclose it while applying. Got in to two schools, lots of interview offers, waitlists, and rejections. But overall a successful cycle. If you're honest, you should be fine.