Salary model in EM?

We were all salaried from '93-'03.  They tried to pull the IC on us at the end and the other PA at my facility told them that it wasn't legal, which got her into hot water.  At my first ED gig I was always getting the shaft since my shift was to end at 7p but the surg resident who I had to wait on was ALWAYS late in arriving, thus free labor.  The next ED gig I essentially left when I was supposed to.  About midway through that one is when FT's started to raise their ugly heads and you didn't get to see serious cases any more (except for those missed at triage).  The one exception was that if you weren't busy in FT then you had to come out front.  Interesting how it never worked the other way around.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

I work at an academic center and am salaried. If I stay 30-60 minutes late, it's on my time. If I pick up extra shifts, it's paid at the equivalent hourly rate. I miss out on the 1.5x rate after 8 hours, but did not have any hours cut during COVID and have the best benefits I've heard of for EM. Overall, I'm happy with the pay structure.