New Grad Side Hustle

Hey y'all,

I'm a recent grad going through the credentialing process (actually have my TX license as of like 2 days ago, woooooo) looking for positions in Houston. It's not going great. My personal life has been falling apart and there are *bills* stacking up. I'm doing whatever I can and have been selling things on NextDoor. I'm currently working as an MA while I continue applying to PA positions but we absolutely something more if we're going to stay afloat. Any ideas? 

I can't express adequately how desperate things have gotten. An example- I can't even remember the last time I bought name brand almond milk.  

Not sure if this is a real post, but I assume it is.  Times are terrible to be a PA right now.  Simply awful.  From our lack of job opportunities to our anemic leadership concerning our name....it's just a bad time to be a PA.  I have no advice for you other then to seek a residency.

Edited by Cideous

Not sure if this will help new grad, but; 1) sell something else and join national and state PA association tell them to change title ASAP for "Practitioner" and continue to push for OTP or FPA. Volunteer to help them and get to know more PA's that may help you find a position. 2) start frequenting any location where you can meet and chat with physicians, nurses, RT, admin, tech's etc. ANYONE associated with local hospital systems. 3) If you haven't, or if it's been more than a month or two(don't be a weekly pest), go into HR and politely check on potential openings. Jobs are often filled before posted. Even when posted, knowing someone in the establishment increases your chances on an interview. Many young people have forgotten how to network and basically schmooze. Often getting your foot in the door is not about what you know, but who you know.  

Another idea, not sure if Texas schools are opening up, but if so, be a substitute teacher, if the state allows. Many do with a strong biology background and MS degree. Tutor, parents out there with $$$ are often willing to pay, especially now that schools have been closed and kids are behind. Tutor at local college or university. Got to be proactive!! 

BTW, went to one of the clinics in my hospital group today. I posted on another thread about how the physician retired and PA's were going to be let go. They actually kept one PA but replaced physician with NP. Anyway, heard one of the patients in waiting room say, over a short conversation with another patient,  since their Dr. left, they had option of PA or NP.  The NP was choice because they figure its better than an assistant. Isn't it nice that so many PA's understand and love their title and don't care what everyone else thinks or how it may hinder your future. 

• Like 1

I would recommend making a list of your expenses from highest expense to lowest.

Start working your way down the list and figure out how much you can cut back.

Rent-Can you move somewhere cheaper? Get a Roomate month to month?

mortgage-Can you get a deferment of payments with your bank? Rent out a room? Be willing to be uncomfortable in the short term.

groceries-coupons, generic brands, keep your meals simple. Beans, rice, sweet potatoes, vegetables are cheap.

bars/restaurants-stop going out.$0. Or set a budget of $20/month to allow for a coffee or single beer with friends. Otherwise coffee at home.

internet-probably necessary for job hunt. But stop paying for Netflix, Hulu, and other subscriptions

car payment- if it’s not a small payment (considering your zero income-think payment less than 200/mo) then sell it and buy a cheap used car for now. Can buy a nice one again later once you’re making money.

Auto insurance- are you paying the least amount possible and only the coverage you need? Call your insurance and push them to give you a better rate.

debt payments-deferment or income based. Ask your lenders about options.

In terms of side hustle-

sell stuff you don’t need

find odd jobs on Facebook and craigslist

babysit

I had to borrow $1,000 from a friend for a month to get by during credentialing and then paid her back after my first paycheck.

Ask your employer if they pay for onboarding training as it gets a paycheck in your hands that much faster.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:54 PM, Cideous said:

Not sure if this is a real post, but I assume it is.  Times are terrible to be a PA right now.  Simply awful.  From our lack of job opportunities to our anemic leadership concerning our name....it's just a bad time to be a PA.  I have no advice for you other then to seek a residency.

and here comes chicken little.....