Experiences with Zoom Interviews

Hi PA Community!

I have a zoom interview coming up and I was hoping I could get some feedback about what that experience was like for others, and potential advice or tips.  

I've had work interviews before, but they were always in person!  Also this is the first time I'll be in a group interview as well, and I'm wondering what dynamic that will be like.

There's also a written portion of the interview too!

Thanks!

S

4 hours ago, missSSprePA said:

Hi PA Community!

I have a zoom interview coming up and I was hoping I could get some feedback about what that experience was like for others, and potential advice or tips.  

I've had work interviews before, but they were always in person!  Also this is the first time I'll be in a group interview as well, and I'm wondering what dynamic that will be like.

There's also a written portion of the interview too!

Thanks!

S

The transition to zoom interviews has made it all the more important to practice your interview skills. The schools know what you look like on paper already so don’t count on that getting you in. They want to see who you are as a person. If you can’t be conversational, intelligently fluid with your words and answers, or come off as too shy and unprepared; it will greatly decrease your chances. Be able to come out the shell and be real with your interviewers. Be fluent in talking about yourself and your prior adventures/aspirations. Have a good story to tell. Show it in your body language. It’ll make the difference of being placed in the “accept” category versus the “sideline/maybe” or worse the “decline”. I recently interviewed students via zoom and I can not stress this enough.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ANESMCR said:

The transition to zoom interviews has made it all the more important to practice your interview skills. The schools know what you look like on paper already so don’t count on that getting you in. They want to see who you are as a person. If you can’t be conversational, intelligently fluid with your words and answers, or come off as too shy and unprepared; it will greatly decrease your chances. Be able to come out the shell and be real with your interviewers. Be fluent in talking about yourself and your prior adventures/aspirations. Have a good story to tell. Show it in your body language. It’ll make the difference of being placed in the “accept” category versus the “sideline/maybe” or worse the “decline”. I recently interviewed students via zoom and I can not stress this enough.

That's helpful thanks!  Any advice particularly about group interviews?

Make sure to check your technology the day before your interview and again at least 30 minutes before. The last thing you want is for your camera or microphone to go belly-up right before you interview. Check your lighting and background. Try to make it as professional as you can. Also, practice looking into your camera when speaking. If you look at the screen, it will look like you aren’t engaging with the interviewers. 

Group interviews on Zoom are kind of odd. I’m not sure exactly what your school’s format for the group interview is, but the one school I interviewed with that had a group portion just asked everyone roughly the same questions. In that case, be respectful of others and pay attention. If they want someone to start, don’t be afraid to go first. It makes you stick out from the crowd. That said, never step on another‘s toes or dominate the discussion. If there’s a wait before the interview starts, make small talk with the others in your group. It helps relax you and shows that you’re a collegial person who would make a good classmate. 

Don’t stress too much. It feels a little odd, but remember there’s another person on the other end who wants you to succeed. Academically, you’ve already shown them you belong, now you just have to show what kind of person and thinker you are. 

1 minute ago, Sapper said:

Make sure to check your technology the day before your interview and again at least 30 minutes before. The last thing you want is for your camera or microphone to go belly-up right before you interview. Check your lighting and background. Try to make it as professional as you can. Also, practice looking into your camera when speaking. If you look at the screen, it will look like you aren’t engaging with the interviewers. 

Group interviews on Zoom are kind of odd. I’m not sure exactly what your school’s format for the group interview is, but the one school I interviewed with that had a group portion just asked everyone roughly the same questions. In that case, be respectful of others and pay attention. If they want someone to start, don’t be afraid to go first. It makes you stick out from the crowd. That said, never step on another‘s toes or dominate the discussion. If there’s a wait before the interview starts, make small talk with the others in your group. It helps relax you and shows that you’re a collegial person who would make a good classmate. 

Don’t stress too much. It feels a little odd, but remember there’s another person on the other end who wants you to succeed. Academically, you’ve already shown them you belong, now you just have to show what kind of person and thinker you are. 

Aw that's really helpful!  And also a good pep talk!

I had a zoom interview and it went well. As long as you have a working computer with video and audio, it's pretty similar to an actual interview. I did think I would be less nervous, but I was NOT!! The only downfall for online interviews is there is sometimes a delay with technology. So it can get awkward if you and the interview start speaking at the same time. Anyway, I would prepare how you normally would and practice out your questions. I think really nailing the "tell me about yourself" question sets a good trail for the rest of the interview. Also there are some great YouTube videos that give you example questions and answers. I watched a ton and feel like they made me more comfortable with some of the questions I was given. Good luck!

Edited by sudowoodo