I am planning to use some conference time in my paramedic role to take some additional courses; I am interested in ATLS (I've taken PHTLS, The Difficult Airway EMS, and many of the typical alphabet courses so far). I am matriculating to PA school this summer. Has anyone taken ATLS while enrolled as a student? I know it can be pricey; however, we do have a reimbursement program from my hospital and get paid for the days to be there. Thoughts? I am very interested in EM in the future. I feel this additional knowledge would be great.

Edited by TeddyRucpin

I've taken ATLS both as a medic and as a PA.  The big difference is that as a medic I only got a certificate as an "auditor".  As a PA, I got certification as a "physician extender" - viewed by my hospitals as the same as the cert for docs.  It's not a bad course, but the underlying concepts really seem like making sure ED providers prioritize rapid stabilization and transfer to definitive care.  In other words, think like medics have for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I've taken ATLS both as a medic and as a PA.  The big difference is that as a medic I only got a certificate as an "auditor".  As a PA, I got certification as a "physician extender" - viewed by my hospitals as the same as the cert for docs.  It's not a bad course, but the underlying concepts really seem like making sure ED providers prioritize rapid stabilization and transfer to definitive care.  In other words, think like medics have for years.

agree. coming from an ems background really helps with EM in general and trauma in particular. Always be thinking about what is next, even before the patient arrives. bad mva? gather the troops, check the availability of lifeflight, lay out equipment you may need, including backups: 7.5 ET tube, king LT airway, crich kit. check. extra nurse from the floor. check. EZ IO and set up for EJs, check. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

agree. coming from an ems background really helps with EM in general and trauma in particular. Always be thinking about what is next, even before the patient arrives. bad mva? gather the troops, check the availability of lifeflight, lay out equipment you may need, including backups: 7.5 ET tube, king LT airway, crich kit. check. extra nurse from the floor. check. EZ IO and set up for EJs, check. 

Be proactive, not reactive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...