Family Practice Offer, help!

Hello all, 

I would need some help with this offer in family practice in FL (very saturated market and hard to get any offer to be honest). I had been trying to relocate to FL for over one year now. 

Family Practice location in underserved area. it is affiliated by the hospital in town. 

Base Salary: 80k. not negotiable at all (I tried x2, they use a system?)

Bounces: based on productivity, they mentioned "The APP will receive, on a semi-annual basis, a percentage of all direct
patient care net operating revenue realized by the respective CHFM clinic for charges generated
by the APP, provided the APP generates professional Work Relative Value Units (WRVUs)
equivalent to or greater than the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) 75th
percentile for primary care APPs nationally" the percentage is 5%, with increasing every 3 years by 1% increment. 

CME: 1,000 after meeting target RVU except for DEA license and stuff (does not require meeting the RVU). Not negotiable also (sad face). 

Benefits: good dental, vision, medical plan. HRA and FSA available with employer contribution. STD and LTD covered. Malpractice insurance covered. 403b plan with 3% employer contribution after working 12 months. 

PTO: accuring 5.53 per pay period

Thoughts? Ideas?

I am afraid if I say no to this offer, I won't get one for a while. I had been applying for over a year now and without much success. this is my first offer in FL. I currently work in another state and have 9 months of experience but like mentioned their offer is not negotiable. 

Thank you!

I do EM, not FP, so I don't know that field.  But, I make > 2x that living in a relatively low cost area in the midwest.  So, that seems mighty low.

Before you count on the bonuses, see if you can speak with any PA's currently working in the practice to see how much they actually get.

Then it comes down to how much you want to live in Florida.  Medscape says the average primary care physician's salary in Florida for 2019 was $238K.  So, you'd be making about 33% of that.  I believe that in many circumstances PA's make ~ 40-45% of what the docs make.

8 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

I do EM, not FP, so I don't know that field.  But, I make > 2x that living in a relatively low cost area in the midwest.  So, that seems mighty low.

Before you count on the bonuses, see if you can speak with any PA's currently working in the practice to see how much they actually get.

Then it comes down to how much you want to live in Florida.  Medscape says the average primary care physician's salary in Florida for 2019 was $238K.  So, you'd be making about 33% of that.  I believe that in many circumstances PA's make ~ 40-45% of what the docs make.

I live in the midwest too, but really wants to move to FL because of family. I make now in 92k but hate my job and my living situation.

11 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

I was going to say that sounds pretty low, until I read Florida. Why do you want to move there? Where do you live and how much do you make now?

I live in the midwest and make about 92k, but it's orthopedics and I hate it so much (work like a scribe, lots of complainers, calls) 😂

Moving to FL because wanting to live closer to family. 

I tried getting up on offer but the guy was firm on it

Base is low as mentioned unless that bonus can make up for it. I know of an FQHC in WA starting folks at 85K but with the RVU bonuses some make 150-200K. Have you asked how much people usually get in bonuses? Caveat to that is it's taxed a lot AND it's affected by your productivity. COVID shutdown? No bonus. Vacation? No bonus. You see where I'm going.

If you've been looking for a year then you may be sh!+ out of luck though.

2 hours ago, MSPAC2 said:

Base is low as mentioned unless that bonus can make up for it. I know of an FQHC in WA starting folks at 85K but with the RVU bonuses some make 150-200K. Have you asked how much people usually get in bonuses? Caveat to that is it's taxed a lot AND it's affected by your productivity. COVID shutdown? No bonus. Vacation? No bonus. You see where I'm going.

If you've been looking for a year then you may be sh!+ out of luck though.

Bonus is not taxed any more than regular income. It is taxed initially at 25% or something, but when you do your taxes if you have paid too much you will get the difference back in the return.

It is a low salary, but you know that already. Having said that, you have to no state income tax in Florida and with the bonus you might be make close to your salary right now. The benefits are decent too. If you really like Florida, and have no other option, it's not a horrible offer.

Have you tried contacting a recruiter? Sometimes, they are able to get you some good offers.