Changing Specialties

Hello to all you PA's! I am having a dilemma about my first job and would love to get some advice or feedback. I am currently in a critical care residency, and it is not going as I would have hoped. Overall, I am not having a good experience, and I am not enjoying the specialty. I'm currently looking for other jobs in emergency medicine, but this seems to be a challenging market to get into right now due to covid. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about which speciality would help me to eventually get a job in emergency medicine? I was thinking maybe either internal medicine or urgent care? Also, if anyone has advice about getting into emergency medicine, that would be so helpful!

Just to keep it short, Molly, I would suggest Urgent Care. A new graduate can carefully navigate this specialty and learn everything from radiology to wound care to suturing, primary care and ACLS . It's a great way to learn basic pediatrics and drug addictions. I am sure that some of my colleagues on this chat will contribute even greater ideas.