Would it be wise for me to apply to PA school?

I'm basically asking if my motives for wanting to become a PA are good ones. Now, please keep in mind that this is a very generalized summary which hardly tells the whole story. First, the workings of the human body just fascinate me. Simply put, it is intellectually stimulating for me. I love working in systems and the human body is a series of complex system all inter-connected. Second, I'd be lying if I said that the living a PA makes isn't an enticing factor, but it is. Next is job security. I have been told that PAs and other mid-level care providers will be in heavy demand all across the nation for the forseeable future.

There's another side I'd like to have noted. Often when people are listing their own personal reasons for wanting to become a PA and amongst the reasons given, many of them include "I want to help people" or "I want to make a difference." This may not sound good but I've got to admit that those and the like don't typically make it into my top three reasons for wanting to get into this profession.

So, that's it in a nut shell. Again, please keep in mind that this is a generalized summary and doesn't tell the whole story but give a rough idea. Any thoughts?

all your pro statements could also apply to medschool.

I would hesitate to become a pa if I didn't enjoy the work and the interactions with patients.

there are much easier ways to make a living out there. at the end of the day it is important to enjoy what you do or you will just become burnt out and bitter. recently I have had to readjust my priorities on doing work that intersts me regardless of salary. I really like small/rural departments, low volumes, and having the time to do good work. I have worked in busy systems for almost 20 years and the novelty of that has worn off. I took probably a 30% pay cut to work at settings that I enjoy. at the end of the day I think this will contribute to my longevity in the profession and help me feel excited every day to go to work. at some of the places that I no longer work I dreaded my 1-2 shifts/mo there. now those shifts no longer exist. I am smiling already.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. I mean, everyone's reasons for wanting to do anything are personal, and asking people to judge whether your personal feelings and motivations are "right" or "wrong" seems counterproductive. Are you really going to change your mind about PA school based on the opinions of a bunch of strangers on the internet? You admit that you cannot tell the whole story in a few short sentences. That's what your personal statement is for - and this topic sounds like a cry for help on a PS or interview, honestly.

If you're asking whether altruism and a desire to help others should be in your top three... I don't personally think it must be (and it can start to sound a little trite), but enjoying humanity will make your career as a PA easier.

You could go into biomedical research. That would allow you to explore your curiosity/fascination with the workings of the human body, without having to deal with the hassle of facing a cavalcade of ill/unhappy people all day. Job security is OK, pay is OK to good, depending on what setting your talking about (eg. academic vs. industry).

Just an idea. I come from a research background (making career switch to PA), so I understand the research side pretty well, if you have any questions.

Personally I feel people who are interested in helping their patients make better healthcare providers. In fact, if I knew someone was a doctor or PA for those three reasons and didn't have a strong interest in helping me and my overall well-being, I wouldn't see them as a patient.

Archived