Residency/fellowship necessary?

I am starting PA school in about 6 weeks and am planning for the future. Is it necessary to complete a residency/fellowship to get a step up on other new grads. Specifically ortho. My background is that I've been a physical therapist assistant for the past 10 years. Do I need to complete one of those or will my previous health care experience be enough. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Today new PA grad are younger. This new trend became more evident within the last six years or so. Most lack extensive years of Heathcare exp either as an RN/MA/Surg tech etc or even life exp to say the least. That said, I would highly recommend residency training for every new graduate.

I think a fellowship is a great idea. I start my PA program next week. I know that when I graduate I will still only know an incredibly small fraction of the information that is required to be a good PA. I think it is naive to think that after 2 years anyone can be prepared enough to work in high end specialties on their own. With that being said however, I think it is possible to get a job in the specialty you desire without doing a fellowship. However you will be learning through trial and error on your patients. I feel more comfortable trying to do a fellowship so that I can be better prepared and have more knowledge for my patients.

Today new PA grad are younger. This new trend became more evident within the last six years or so. Most lack extensive years of Heathcare exp either as an RN/MA/Surg tech etc or even life exp to say the least. That said, I would highly recommend residency training for every new graduate.

I totally agree.

Archived