Clinical Rotations with Indian Health Service

Hi everyone! 

I'm a first year PA student in my last quarter of didactic year and my program has given my class the "green light" to start coordinating our elective for clinical rotations starting in April. I'm unsure of what I want to do my elective rotation in but I've always had an interest in working on the Native American reservations or in hospitals/doctors offices in areas with higher populations of American Indians/Alaska Natives helping to improve access to their medical care. 

Has anybody on this forum completed a rotation with the Indian Health Service (IHS) and if so, would you be willing to share details of your experience and what you thought of it? Thank you in advance! 

Edited by KDB727

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread - but I'm also looking for feedback on rotating with IHS. Any PAs on here that have experience working for IHS? I've heard starting salaries are low and clinics are underresourced, but also that the patient population is incredibly rewarding to work with. 

I'll be in rural MT for three months next year at an IHS facility, it sounds like they hire a lot of new grads from my program. Interested in learning the good and bad of working for this agency.