Reapplicants who were accepted (gimme some hope!)

Hi there - I'm interested in hearing from reapplicants who ultimately got accepted. Bonus points if you 1) had to apply 3+ times or 2) didn't get any interviews your first cycle or two!. Tell me about your journey. 

Background: I applied to 5 programs last cycle, no interviews; applied to 10 programs this cycle, 8 rejections thus far and no interviews. Need to cheer myself up with some stories of persistence! Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

It happens; just did a week or two ago to an MA in our office who got in his second time around to a school he applied to last year.

From what I've seen, the best predictor is whether the applicant did anything to improve their applications between years. Depending on your shortfall, it might be grades, an advanced course, better recommendations, or more meaningful PCE. I think you have to start with an analysis of what you look like on paper and what's lacking.

Once you get interviews, the stage switches to your interview performance.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, UGoLong said:

It happens; just did a week or two ago to an MA in our office who got in his second time around to a school he applied to last year.

From what I've seen, the best predictor is whether the applicant did anything to improve their applications between years. Depending on your shortfall, it might be grades, an advanced course, better recommendations, or more meaningful PCE. I think you have to start with an analysis of what you look like on paper and what's lacking.

Once you get interviews, the stage switches to your interview performance.

Good luck.

Thanks! I should have clarified that I’m not really seeking advice for reapplying; mostly just interested in hearing stories from those who have directly lived that experience about how it was for them to get rejected multiple times, and how rewarding it was emotionally to have finally gotten in. 

Congrats to your office mate 🎉

I'm not a third time applicant, however, my first cycle I applied late in the cycle and received 1 interview (my alma mater) and was ultimately rejected. Between the cycles, I took upper level sciences, increased volunteering and PCE (got a job as a MA, volunteered weekly with Big Brother Big Sister) and applied early in the cycle (Verified by CAPSA May 8th). I got 7 interviews with 3 acceptances (1 still pending). With that being said, rejection is not fun and Ive gotten 20+ rejections. I was very weary of this cycle, especially since its more competitive this year (schools being lenient with requirements because of the pandemic) but its been nice knowing I will be a PA. The rejections are worth the reward, but its a draining process, emotionally and financially. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, djkaled said:

I'm not a third time applicant, however, my first cycle I applied late in the cycle and received 1 interview (my alma mater) and was ultimately rejected. Between the cycles, I took upper level sciences, increased volunteering and PCE (got a job as a MA, volunteered weekly with Big Brother Big Sister) and applied early in the cycle (Verified by CAPSA May 8th). I got 7 interviews with 3 acceptances (1 still pending). With that being said, rejection is not fun and Ive gotten 20+ rejections. I was very weary of this cycle, especially since its more competitive this year (schools being lenient with requirements because of the pandemic) but its been nice knowing I will be a PA. The rejections are worth the reward, but its a draining process, emotionally and financially. 

Thanks for sharing, this is totally what I need to hear. My mood oscillates up and down between feeling motivated and staying positive vs feeling discouraged. Congrats on your acceptances!

Fellow Californian here ( I assume based on my experience on this forum this last year that you are from California as well based on the fact that we applied to the same schools). I applied 3 cycles and got in this year. I would probably expand your net when it comes to applying to schools if you can. I got rejected from all the California/Oregon schools as well (or have yet to hear back which means rejection) 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:12 AM, alysd said:

Hi there - I'm interested in hearing from reapplicants who ultimately got accepted. Bonus points if you 1) had to apply 3+ times or 2) didn't get any interviews your first cycle or two!. Tell me about your journey. 

Background: I applied to 5 programs last cycle, no interviews; applied to 10 programs this cycle, 8 rejections thus far and no interviews. Need to cheer myself up with some stories of persistence! Thanks in advance. 

So glad to know that I'm not alone in this feeling/experience -- thank you SO much for making this topic so people can share their stories of success! I applied last cycle for the first time and unfortunately got no interviews. It has been incredibly tough and quite taxing on my mental, emotional, and physical well-being. Hearing from others who went through this and then got accepted a following cycle is what I need to cheer myself up and motivate me to continue on....I am confident in myself pursuing this profession but not in the process, so this feed is very appreciated. 

Thanks to everyone who has posted their stories, and please continue to share!

• Like 4

This will be my 5th year applying. I feel like I could teach a course on CASPA on applying to PA school at this point! The thing that I think is not talked about enough is how much you can learn as a re-applicant about the application process in and of itself. What schools to apply to, what schools NOT to apply to, etc. In retrospect I was a little delusional the first two years I applied and I would have been better off grinding and saving my money and THEN applying when I was more prepared but hey, it's a process that everybody goes through on their own terms. I had some interviews along the way and I think this almost hindered me in a way because it made me believe that I didn't need to retake any classes to get in. Now I've realized that I was totally WRONG and I have got back to the books, retaking two classes this semester while working full time. 

I feel like the rejection has made me a better person and a better applicant. This means so much more to me than it would have if I had gotten in immediately and I have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing co-workers, healthcare professionals and patients along the way. 

I actually got an interview my first year, got denied. Second year radio silence, not even an interview. Third and Fourth years I received interviews and got wait listed twice at the same school. I am currently on the wait list and could get a call any day. I'm trying to remain optimistic while at the same time preparing for the worst.  I am hopeful this year, so keep your head up because there are many more like you out there, including myself! KEEP GOING! 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, SarahMi said:

So glad to know that I'm not alone in this feeling/experience -- thank you SO much for making this topic so people can share their stories of success! I applied last cycle for the first time and unfortunately got no interviews. It has been incredibly tough and quite taxing on my mental, emotional, and physical well-being. Hearing from others who went through this and then got accepted a following cycle is what I need to cheer myself up and motivate me to continue on....I am confident in myself pursuing this profession but not in the process, so this feed is very appreciated. 

Thanks to everyone who has posted their stories, and please continue to share!

I absolutely empathize. I told my partner that I legitimately feel like I went through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance lol) during this process when it became apparent I got no interviews. Preparing to apply for the 3rd time soon and thinking positive now that I’ve moved past the tough emotions. Wishing the best for you this cycle! 

• Administrator
On 2/4/2021 at 2:12 AM, alysd said:

Got in on my second cycle here.  Glad I did--the extra classes I took in the mean time really helped my PA school performance.

• Like 1