Will an other than honorable discharge from the Marines affect my licensure?

Good evening, I received an OTH from the Marines over 15 years ago. It was a consequence of drug use. This has never shown up on an employment background screening nor has it surfaced during an FBI finger print screen. I have no problems being honest about this, but I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot if I don’t have to. Does anyone have experience in a military discharge emerging on a finger print backs ground screening for licensure?

I dont know about whether or not if it will affect licensure(i dont think it will) but it sounds like you have gotten your shit together since. I would recommend you file an appeal for discharge upgrade. Make sure to make a robust packet with everything you have done to distance yourself from the drug use(counseling, meetings, etc.) as well as listing your scholastic accomplishments with proof. I have heard that the 15 year mark makes this route tougher but not impossible, you have to send your packet to a different committee. I never had to go through this as my d/c was honorable but my brother was able to successfully appeal his d/c because he got fat and couldn't pass a PT test for over a year.

https://www.va.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions/

• Thanks 1