Applying to MEDEX

Hello everyone, 

My name is Sean, I am nontraditional student hoping to matriculate into MEDEX with the 2022 cohort. MEDEX has been my dream school since I started my journey to becoming a PA. I recently graduated with my undergrad in Public Administration but also have an AAS in Paramedicine. MEDEX is my top choice and frankly my only choice this year. I have a strong general GPA of 3.97 and a sGPA of 3.5. Unfortunately, I will be applying with the minimum prerequisites including intro to chemistry (they stated they would accept it), full series of A&P, micro, bio, and statistics. I also have 40,000 hours of Paramedic/flight Paramedic PCE. My LOR will be strong from several PAs and a Physician. I am also the chair for a committee developing a training program for disaster medicine and I am one of several co-authors on a paper accepted into the Journal of the American College of Emergency Physicians. Do I meet the threshold of what MEDEX is looking for? Also, I do not currently live in the WWAMI region, but I have an opportunity to move to Anchorage, would moving to the region make me more competitive. I have friends and family in all Washington, Kona, and Alaska. I greatly appreciate any and all responses!

Justin, 

Thank you for the reply. I am super excited to apply and hope the bear minimum prerequisites don't crush my chances haha. Good luck with your application and we should definitely connect even if I don't end up moving. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you, thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sean,

I was just recently accepted to the Kona Campus for the 2021 cohort and am a non-traditional student like you who applied with just the prereqs and a 3.5 GPA and a 3.77 sGPA. I even had to retake a couple courses to 'better' my grades from early college missteps. I was in the Navy for 6 years active and 5 years in the reserve and had about 20k+ patient care hours in various working environments as well as civilian working experience post active duty. In that regard we have a similar path that lead us to this moment.

Your application sounds really strong from my perspective. You've got a lot of patient care hours, work experience with PAs, and good academics which are all the check boxes. At the beginning of my interview the staff spoke about how they take a 'holistic' approach and evaluate the entire applicant and not just the 'grades and scores'. I say drop your package and write a compelling personal statement. Otherwise if you want to beef up your 'prereqs' there are several online universities that offer courses that don't require a degree plan. 

As far as the Kona campus is concerned...

I am from Hawaii and of Hawaiian descent so I have strong family and cultural ties to Hawaii but chose MEDEX as my primary school before they even opened their Kona campus. Fortunately for me they opened the campus in 2020! From what I gathered before and after my interview (which included the site director) and reading what other people were saying the Kona campus is looking for candidates with strong ties to the islands and a desire to practice in Hawaii to meet the unique needs that Hawaii faces. That being said they may not rank you as competitively if there are a lot of applicants from the local area. I would focus on applying to those campuses in locations that you have a strong bond and willingness to work in and make that shine in your personal statement and on your supplamental application and in your interview. 

If you want to connect send me a PM.

Paul

Edited by PK808